Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

Replies to: Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

• keffyspkeffysp Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for the thread you guys! Really helped my SATs! Woot!
  • Casey77Casey77 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    My question is whether you can succeed without the blue book, because i kinda live in narnia (outside us) and it is is impossible to find it, but i have some other books though... If yes which other book practice tests do you think are nearest to college board's ones?
  • LaxDad777LaxDad777 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Great info, thanks.
  • Salami809Salami809 Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    THE ultimate guide for getting into ANY college.. GG
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    Great guide, silverturtle.
    just out of curiosity, is the guide still the way it is today even though it is 3 years old? or do you update it?

The guide is in its original form. It certainly continues to be relevant. I have "updated" in a sense with the writing some time ago of a new book, which I've mentioned in this thread before. I'll update with the status of this in a slightly later post here.
    My brother scored a 2380 on the SAT and showed me this guide. I'm a rising junior, and I was wondering if the section about the SAT Math II could be elaborated? I used the Barron's Math II book and took the test twice my sophomore year (when i was taking precal). I made a 720 the first time, and when I took it again the following month scored a disappointing 660. I was occupied with school work and ecs at that time, so I only completed 2 and a half practice tests. Is it worth to take more practice tests and retest next month? or should I use another resource? I really want an 800, but I'm worried that my scores won't improve

The Barron's book will prepare effectively prepare you for the exam, with the caveat that the material in the book is unnecessarily advanced at times. The margin for mistakes to score 800 is rather generous, so a student with a comfortable handle on the material should find 800 attainable. I think it's worth it to review the material (or learn anew as needed), tackle some practice tests, and go back for a higher score, unless you find your strengths lie clearly in other subjects.
    Are you sure about this:

28. In 1988 a Soviet icebreaking ship helped free three gray whales that had become trapped in the Arctic ice after they had swam into the coastal waters of Alaska to feed. No error

I think that "had become" is also an error as this event is a consequence of "had swam" is in the same sentence; thus needs to be in the simple perfect tense. I agree that "had swam" is also wrong, so this question is invalid.

Thanks!

The past perfect tense distinguishes among past events that occurred at different times in the past. The trapping occurred before the freeing, so we use the past perfect. When "after" subordinates a clause, the past perfect is not preferable to the simple past tense. Also, the past participle of "swam" is, rather, "swum."

If this does not satisfy the question, let me know. I sense it's a matter of noting that "after" subordinates only one of the clauses.
    My question is whether you can succeed without the blue book, because i kinda live in narnia (outside us) and it is is impossible to find it, but i have some other books though... If yes which other book practice tests do you think are nearest to college board's ones?

You can succeed without the Blue Book, but it is a wonderful source of practice tests. If you really can't access a copy, I would use a variety of other companies' practice tests, because the average of them is probably closer to the official one than any individually. Seek out all the available official practice questions that can be found online. Best of luck in overcoming this challenge.
  • boomvoom4000boomvoom4000 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I have a copy of Gruber's Complete Guide to the SAT 2009. I'm taking the PSAT this year and I want to get a 225+.Is the book too old to use in preparing for the 2014 PSAT?
    ^ No, that book will still be relevant, as the test has not materially changed since that time. I would advise, though, that often the best preparation for the PSAT is the best preparation for the SAT: taking and reviewing official SAT practice tests. Merely one or two PSAT practice tests will be sufficient to familiarize you with the abbreviated format, and the same question-solving skills support success on both tests.
  • boomvoom4000boomvoom4000 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Thank you! I'll use the book I have and get the official SAT guide by collegeboard to prepare
  • glidoglido Registered User Posts: 5,952 Senior Member
    Silvertutle: Do you have any recommendations for prep materials for the new SAT for members of the HS Class of 2017+. Will you be making any revisions?
    edited April 2014
    ^ I'll be looking into the changes more deeply, but my initial thoughts are that the current advice would still be strongly applicable. Clearly, for example, a greater emphasis on applying vocabulary rather than memorizing esoteric words will be even more important on the new test, but that was also the thrust of most current good advice.

And as always, taking and then carefully examining appropriate practice tests will be key! :)
    Post edited by entomom on
  • fcallicottefcallicotte Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    Guys the grammar section of this post is AMAZING. I went from around a 600 on my PSAT junior year to a 740 on my SAT and I couldn't have done it without this advice. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  • SohoistSohoist Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Is there a .pdf of Silverturtles guide somewhere?
This discussion has been closed.