Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

CONGRATULATIONS: USC Admitted Class of 2018 with Merit

Replies to: CONGRATULATIONS: USC Admitted Class of 2018 with Merit

• cookie16cookie16 Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    Marshall--Accounting, MD. Interviewing for Presidential. Beyond excited. First choice, if win scholarship.
  • MsMommyMsMommy Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    Madbean, thanks. Your posts have been invaluable. My son is applying for School of Dramatic Arts...Acting
  • bonard48bonard48 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    My son is astronomy, interviewing for trustee, will be nmf so Presidential at minimum.
  • madbeanmadbean Registered User Posts: 3,219 Senior Member
    @MsMommy, is your S admitted for BA in SDA? Is he planning to audition for BFA? Just curious how SDA works their scholarships for BFA.

Updated list--please add your own name if it isn't here:

Official USC Admitted List + Trustee & Presidential Finalist information, if known:

T actstudent, Dornsife, IL
    T bonard48's S, Dornsife - Astronomy, OH
    T db84n6, Dornisfe - Biochem, MO
    T dragonflymusic, Marshall - Accounting, NM
    T fighton425, Marshall Business, WA
    T iflyplanes, Viterbi - Aerospace Eng., CO
    T lametrojan, Marshall Business, FL
    T Lilliana3300, Dornsife, CA
    T LK5D67
    T MsMommy's S, SDA - Acting, UT
    T veritasrmc, SCA - Production, CA
    T wwsosfs, Dornsife - Intl. Rel. & Global Econ., CA

P 2018dad's D, Dornsife - CS-Physics, CA
    P 4beardolls's S,
    P breadcleaner, SCA - Production, TX
    P Cavmom's D, Marshall Business, CA
    P cookie16, Marshall - Accounting, MD
    P hashtagyoloswag, Viterbi - Astronautical Eng., NV
    P hillerburton, Viterbi, NC
    P ilaydk, Architecture, Turkey
    P Lucyplayspiano, Dornsife, TX
    P MaybeonMars
    P sidd96, Viterbi - CompSci, IA
    P SoCalDad2's S, CA
    P striker0088, Dornsife - PoliSci, TX
    P windowpainting16, Keck - Global Health, CA

? 18yrcollegemin's S, FL
    ? aac5449
    ? ChloeShaw
    ? c00kiequ33n, CA
    ? datherine,
    ? DreamingFilms, SCA
    ? GammaPenguin, Viterbi - CompSci (Games), CA
    ? HI2014's D
    ? meerkatt, Keck Global Health, WA
    ? MerlinTheCat's S, Viterbi - CompSci, MD
    ? mramadan
    ? PatrickEvansmom
    ? rani9933's S, AZ
    ? Shutterstock, Viterbi, CA,
    ? WatchfulEye, Keck HP&DP
  • BiomedFatherBiomedFather Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    My S accepted to Viterbi, Biomedical Engineering (Biochemical). Invited to Presidential Scholarship, NJ. Congrats to to all accepted
  • CLSOF2014CLSOF2014 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Official USC Admitted List + Trustee & Presidential Finalist information, if known:

T LK5D67

P 4beardolls's S,
    P MaybeonMars
    P SoCalDad2's S, CA

? 18yrcollegemin's S, FL
    ? aac5449
    ? ChloeShaw
    ? c00kiequ33n, CA
    ? datherine,
    ? DreamingFilms, SCA
    ? HI2014's D
    ? mramadan
    ? PatrickEvansmom
    ? rani9933's S, AZ
    ? CLSOF2014, Viterbi - Mech Engineering
  • CLSOF2014CLSOF2014 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    ^^ D is from Southern California
  • actstudentactstudent Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    @alamemom in terms of the trustee scholarship interview would you say that if you are considered a "trustee candidate" then you won't get bumped down below presidential? Because i REALLY want at least half and in case something goes terribly wrong I want to know I have a pretty good safety net
  • rani9933rani9933 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    presidential , viterbi from AZ
  • MsMommyMsMommy Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    Yes, S has an audition for Acting BFA early Feb. He was told that there is supposed to be an interview for the BA @SDA.and that his audition could count as his interview. Now my assumption is he has already been accepted to the BA?....since the packet says he has been accepted. Exciting but confusing. The acting/audition stuff adds a whole mother level of fun to the process!
  • Lilliana330Lilliana330 Registered User Posts: 1,578 Senior Member
    @actstudent I was wondering the same thing...
    @actstudent and others, it is rare, however on CC we have seen Trustee finalists who were offered less than a Dean's scholarship. All candidates, please be advised that this invitation means you have made it to the finalist round in a very selective competition. All of you are more than worthy--as are hundreds of students who have not made it to this round. Your invitation means you'll get at least $4000/year. Anything more is a great bonus and will be based on your interview.

Since most of you have participated in scholastic and athletic competitions, you already know that making it to the final playoffs is fabulous--but there is never a guarantee you will win the whole enchilada. Competition can be crazy-suspenseful when so much $ is at stake, but I suggest you take each victory as it comes and feel proud of your amazing accomplishment!

As you have heard a lot on CC, everyone needs at least one solid financial safety on their list and no one should ever consider a competitive merit-based scholarship based on holistic criteria (!) as safe. Ever. I feel a lot of compassion for those who won't be able to attend USC if they don't get such-and-such merit money--but realistically: private universities don't owe anyone a free or half-free education and the fact that USC awards a few hundred such scholarships which not based on need in any way is frankly better than most. But this season is far from over, and in the end, some of you will have better opportunities--either financially-speaking or even top-choice-speaking--elsewhere. I suggest it's a good time to get over feeling bitter or conflicted and just have a great time at Explore (if you are invited to interview), check out the campus, and see where it all lands.

@MsMommy, best of luck to your S in his audition. My guess (only a guess) is he is guaranteed BA Theatre and will have to wait until the audition to find out the BFA results.

T LK5D67

P 4beardolls's S,
    P BiomedFather's S, Viterbi - Biomedical Eng (Biochem), NJ
    P MaybeonMars
    P rani9933's S, Viterbi, AZ
    P SoCalDad2's S, CA

? 18yrcollegemin's S, FL
    ? aac5449
    ? ChloeShaw
    ? CLSOF2014, Viterbi - Mech Engineering, CA
    ? c00kiequ33n, CA
    ? datherine,
    ? DreamingFilms, SCA
    ? HI2014's D
    ? mramadan
    ? PatrickEvansmom
  • Blue89Blue89 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    D accepted to Viterbi - interviewing for Presidential.

Having read some older posts I see that some students get bumped down to smaller scholarship amounts. Have students ever been bumped up to larger amounts?
  • camomof3camomof3 Registered User Posts: 846 Member
    ^Yes- but as it has been pointed out, do not count on such a thing to happen and be thrilled if it does. This bumping up or down is probably a numbers (yield) thing of how many invited students show up for the interview. For example, maybe the 5 kids higher on the list (within your specific school) decided not to come and interview because they got in to HYPSM early and are set on their college choice. This leaves you as the top student on the list and they now have a larger scholarship left to give out. In contrast, maybe all 5 of the kids on the list decide to attend when they projected 3 would, now they want to offer these extra 2 larger scholarships than they expected, and you will be offered a lower one. This is simply a guess based on what we have seen here over the last 3-4 years of kids posting. Of course your interview performance is important- but some students have had good interviews and then ended up with smaller scholarships than they interviewed for. A truly fabulous interview could also push you higher on the list over another student as well.
    I'm not sure how it works either, and perhaps camomof3 is right in her speculation above. With S1, who was in a very tiny major, only 2 students were invited to interview for Trustee and both came on the same ExploreUSC day, too. They of course met and hung out together for the two days, having so much in common. (Side note: for those of you coming to Explore--you will be meeting a really really cool group of people among the other finalists!) In my son's year, only 1 Trustee scholarship was reserved for his particular major and with both guys showing up, it meant only one would receive it--luckily we didn't know that at the time, and by now they may have allotted scholarships differently among SCA. In his case, the other student was offered the Presidential and also was given two other awards. But I always thought the playing field was even at the start among candidates and, as USC posts online, the interview is the deciding factor. I have never been quite sure if--in a given School-- they bump down a Trustee finalist while at the same time bumping up a Presidential finalist. In other words, does this bumping happen only when they have to make adjustments or does it happen based some P candidate having a killer interview? Just don't know.
This discussion has been closed.