right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Combine testing at Ivy camps?

Studfest77Studfest77 58 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
I saw a video of a 40 and 225 bench press for reps at the Yale camp. Was wondering if combine testing such as this is held at all ivy camps and how an average to weak performance would affect my chances of an offer (a couple schools have told me they would offer granted I perform well at camp). If it is of any help, the camps I'll be attending are Yale, Harvard, Brown, Cornell, and UPenn.
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Combine testing at Ivy camps?

• Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 2451 replies41 discussionsForum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,492 Forum Champion
    My son is going through the same process you are, at some of the same schools. I can't say anything definitively, but a number of guys from his school have been through the Ivy camps (a couple are currently at schools on your list). What they have been telling him is that the camps are very important in the recruiting process. It sounds like you have been having pretty substantive communications with some of these schools, and if I am correct, you should be able to get a feel for how important the camps are at a given school. It has been my impression from the unofficial visits I have made with my son to five of the Ivys that they run the gamut. As an example, I was with my son at Penn's junior day, and we spent a fair amount of time talking to his position coach after the program. It seemed pretty obvious to me that at least for his position group (OLine) the camps were a "rule in" part of the process, meaning they wanted to see certain things live before getting serious about recruiting. The way he explained it was that they were not always sure how trustworthy the numbers being reported by different HS coaches or the kids themselves were, and that there is a huge disparity in the level of competition played by the HS where they recruit. Bringing all the kids to camp is their way of evening up the playing field a bit as it were. On the other hand, my son has had two Ivys tell him it didn't matter to them whether he came to the camp, they were going to recruit him either way and just wanted to see the first couple game films this fall. As a matter of pure guesswork, if you have schools telling you they will offer you a slot assuming you do well at the camps, you had to have impressed them on film already. Remember that these coaches eat tape (or digital hudl clips now I guess). They know what they are looking for on film, and know what they are seeing. Add to that I would guess you to be at least a 3rd if not 4th band kid since prequalifications for academics can't even be done until July (or so we have been told), and there should be no reason to think you will do poorly at the camps. Do your best and good luck this summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • Studfest77Studfest77 58 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    I actually think I'll perform really well in drills as I am a fairly good player and actually have 3 offers right now, just was curious about whether or not there would be combine testing as I'm average at best of a bench presser and of average speed for a lineman and don't want this to affect coaches opinions of me as a player
    · Reply · Share
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 2451 replies41 discussionsForum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,492 Forum Champion
    Based on other kids from my son's program who went to camps over the last couple years, everybody is going to get a true height, weight, vert, 40, 3 cone, shuttle and ask you to rep out 225.
    · Reply · Share
  • Studfest77Studfest77 58 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    Any idea what the average amount of reps on 225 is? I can rep that about 12-13 times, wondering if that would be within the mean range. I'm also 6'4 so I do have a little of a ways to go down on the bench
    · Reply · Share
  • ChicagoMamaChicagoMama 225 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    Studfest if you are 6'4" you are going to be getting a ton of interest no matter what weights you are pulling. If you are coachable and able the coaches are going to believe they can work with you. The key in Ivy for OLine is height. They can always put more muscle and weight on you. So far I think you're in a really good position. If my experience still holds - you will be put into a very select group who will be pulled aside during Ivy camps.

My one piece of advice out of hand - just because it's an Ivy camp - do not dismiss the interest of coaches from other top notch schools that also attend the camps. Like MIT UChicago Amherst Williams Middlebury. Also basically be nice to every coach! There was a camp at an Ivy I attended where I ended up standing somewhat near a group of coaches who were from lesser schools who were sort of murmuring about certain kids who were acting like "%$&" (not nice words). I heard them.

Last - have images of your jr. unofficial transcript; short 1/2 page resume (SATs APs main ECs GPA); and video links available to send from your phone at any time. If you don't want to line up after camps - give coaches your cell on quick breaks and they can ping you for your stuff if they like what they see.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the info! Strength isn't really an issue with me as I squat 430 pounds and clean 295, I'm just not as up to par on bench. I've already had a lot of ivy interest coming in, and I actually have an offer from brown (I know this doesn't hold much weight) and basically the promise of an offer from upenn granted I perform somewhat well at the camp. In addition to this I've have coaches from Cornell Brown UPenn Harvard and Yale coming to visit me this spring. Basically I am in a pretty good situation, but am just a little worried that an average showing in the bench or 40 might lower coaches thoughts of me a little. As far as talking to coaches from smaller school go, I'll have no problem with that. I'm not one to blow people off and am generally nice- a d3 school might end up being a viable option of mine if something such as an injury were to happen. Anyway thanks a lot for the advice
    · Reply · Share
    Also I noticed you said they could put more weight on me, I am 280 pounds and have a pretty well filled out frame, don't think my weight will raise any concerns
    · Reply · Share
    Clowney only posted 21 reps at the combine, and he is going to be a top 3-4 pick in the draft. 12 reps as a junior in high school is plenty.
    · Reply · Share
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth 976 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 988 Member
    Studfest77 - You ask good questions and you've been given great advice here. Your challenge may not be with the coaches it may be more on what program to select. Reading between the lines, you appear to be top band recruit in terms of athletic and academics. To verify you are what they think you are, you may be asked to come to the combine to perform rather than rely on video or other tools. Don't be surprised if they want to see you in person (at their camp in addition to the combine) before asking for a commitment. They only get so many slots every year and want to make sure they are getting the right guy. My oldest son was seen at a large baseball showcase (combine) years ago with all Ivys and others in attendence. After the showcase, he heard from 5 of 8 Ivys to come to their individual select camps and tour each campus. It was a busy time of year so he decided to attend two select camps and see how it went. Basically, the recruiting coaches wanted to bring all of their national recruits together so the whole coaching staff (including head coach) could evaluate them side by side....like you would do at a livestock market. Son was offered by two Ivy head coach at their respective select camps. He had two Ivy offers, and truthfully baseball wasn't the deciding factor. His academic major was the tiebreaker. One school's engineering school was deeper and wider than the other. At the end of the day, he committed to an Ivy that clearly wanted him and met his academic requirements. .

High school stats get thrown around in other sports to make the athlete appear bigger & better than they are. In my son's sport, some of these guys are listed 1-2" inches taller and sometimes 10-15 lbs heavier, and rumors fly about pitchers throwing 5mph faster than they actually do. Coaches want to see with their own eyes, and I think that is understandable. I wouldn't dread the bench press. You should embrace it as your personal challenge. Heck, you've got everything else covered. OL isn't about bench press it is about a total package of size, quickness, balance and technique. If a coach is going to ding you on not being able to do as many reps as another recruit, does that really matter in the grand scheme of things. When a LB or S is blitzing in a game, and you've got to pick him up.... does it matter how many 225 bench press reps you did at the combine? Heck no. You've got other interested schools which is why it is so important to reach out to many schools for those that seek the total package. Good luck!.

· Reply · Share
  • ChicagoMamaChicagoMama 225 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    Studfest, no worries on the bench - you are 6'4". My son is 6'0" and puts up really good numbers on the bench. I've been told that it's because his center of gravity is different from a taller player - supposedly the "short" guys actually do regularly put up more weight than their taller peers. There was an OL guy at one camp who had 5 reps at a weight where my son had 13. He still had the interest of the coaches because his body type was what they were after. You're not benching on the football field. It's just a metric they use.
    · Reply · Share
  • myluckydogmyluckydog 132 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    Studfest77,

Just my two cents - I know others will take issue with things I am about to say and I expect to take some heat in the posts that follow - but I've personally watched exactly what goes on at more than half of the Ivy football camps (3 of the ones you mention) and watched several recruiting seasons play out and which local kids get offers from the Ivies, and here are my personal observations and the opinions I would give to my son if I were advising him today:

! - Yes, all of the Ivy camps do combine testing and they will test you even if it's a multi-day camp and you go for only one day (which you can and should - no one needs to be at a camp for more than one day and they will allow you to come for one day if you ask);
    2 - Your size will get you some attention at these camps;
    3 - It's great that you have 3 offers now and there is no better position you can be in at the moment and you should enjoy it, but verbal offers made in the spring are not binding and if they are from Ivies the coaches still need to evaluate you as things progress in the fall and they see your tape and their bands solidify and you still need to get past admissions;
    4 - I don't know your talent, skill, etc. but everyone goes to these camps hoping/expecting offers (which are nonbinding) and very few offers are made and those go mostly to D1 scholarship athletes the Ivy coaches are hoping to pick off. This is especially true for Harvard (and to a lesser extent, Yale). Make no mistake - Harvard is a D1 camp;
    5- It is very difficult to get any attention at these camps unless you are an impact player and throw up great numbers on the testing. There are just so many kids running drills and a lot of the time the coaches aren’t paying such close attention. The real danger is that if you go and throw up mediocre numbers, coaches who might have been interested based on your size and tape might not even get to your tape because they dismissed you based on mediocre numbers alone;
    6 - These camps are held for the purpose of generating revenue for the coaches so they can make some money over the summer months, period, on this I have done research and am certain;
    7 - You don’t need to go to these camps to get recruited and my perception is that it is the one in a million kid who goes to a camp and ultimately gets an offer but wouldn’t have gotten an offer if he had not gone to the camp, in other words, if the coach wants you he will make you an offer based on your tape regardless of whether you went to his camp and if he doesn’t want you then going to his camp will make no difference.
    8 - Finally, if hearing all of this you still want to go to these camps then you should definitely go and have a great time. These camps can be a great and memorable experience. They provide an opportunity for you to visit the school as a football player and can get you motivated to have a great senior year. Sadly, however, they do very little to help you get recruited by the school hosting the camp and the coaches blatantly misrepresent this.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I do have an offer from an FBS school currently so I do believe I am of d1 talent and will perform well in the actual football drills and competition.
    · Reply · Share
    I can't really argue with anything MyLuckyDog just said.

Particularly about the part where you can be invited to a camp but it doesn't necessarily mean you are being recruited by that school. You can be heavily recruited by a school and commit in July and never attend a camp and end up right through admissions. Schools can and do recruit some kids without ever having seen them at a camp or clinic at all.
    · Reply · Share
    But - as MLD pointed out - they are usually very clear D1 kids. There are different sets of rules depending on which kind of player you are.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity