Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Another Wedding Question - what kind of beer?

Replies to: Another Wedding Question - what kind of beer?

• sseamomsseamom Registered User Posts: 4,901 Senior Member
    "Yes, draft is better. However, at a wedding, bottles makes sense because things move along more quickly. "

Yes, depending on the size of the wedding, that might be true. But my point was that it's NOT chugging out of red cups, unless it's that kind of wedding, lol.
  • geo1113geo1113 Registered User Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
    sseamom, you mean like one of these wedding.

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/5466325/redwedding
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 7,418 Senior Member
    Pizzagirl--I love lots of different beers--but not Guinness. Too funny!
    I usually ask for samples of new brews (tap) before ordering to see if I like it.
  • saintfansaintfan Registered User Posts: 8,274 Senior Member
    There are places where personalized wedding koozies are a thing . . . even at more upscale events.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    I drank Guinness when my daughter was a premie and I was trying to express my milk to take to the hospital.
    So hard to get the let down without a baby.
    (I was reasoning it had more nutrition or something)
    It definitely is an acquired taste, which I didn't ever acquire.
    But this was long before microbrews.
    Now I like fuller flavored beers like IPAs and bitters.
    One of the best things about fall, imo, are the seasonal brews.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 15,855 Senior Member
    Weirdly, Guinness is about the only beer I like.
    EK, we have several growlers. H prefers the stainless steel because you can get a tighter seal on them. He's eying the mini-keg ones-sort of a growler-keg in one. The price has kept him from going for it thus far.
  • soccergurl7988soccergurl7988 Registered User Posts: 896 Member
    @frazzled1 For Charlottesville, try Starr Hill (based in Crozet, VA, just west of Charlottesville), Blue Mountain Brewery, (Afton, VA), Devils Backbone, South Street, Champion, Three Notch'd...or a host of others. Charlottesville+surrounds is the heart of the Brew Ridge Trail craft beer tour :)
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Registered User Posts: 5,710 Senior Member
    Thanks for the great suggestions, @soccergurl7988. I've visited Blue Mountain - great idea to have an option from their at the wedding.
  • saintfansaintfan Registered User Posts: 8,274 Senior Member
    DH never remembers to take one of the growlers that we have when he decided that he wants one. We now have running "NO GROWLERS!!" joke.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 7,418 Senior Member
    That Brew Ridge Trail sounds like a great road trip! I think we need to research this thread more for the OP!
  • TempeMomTempeMom Registered User Posts: 2,955 Senior Member
    Can you put the empty growlers in the trunk?
    We now keep a growler in each car, just in case. And for our anniversary, I got H a "growler car seat". He loves it.
    http://www.growleronboard.com/wp/home-2/
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,456 Senior Member
    Missed a few days of conversation, but I thought I'd pipe up that we went to a Michelin starred restaurant in New York and did the tasting menu with the wine pairings. The chef actually paired a beer with one of the courses. We were surprised, but it was delicious. This is to say beer is okay in a high class venue.

When I have a party I have a variety of beer (both of the microbrew variety and some lite beer), some wine, some soda and I also make sure to have plenty of good sparkling water which is great for people who are dieting or don't drink or want to drink something non-alcoholic between glasses of wine so they don't overimbibe.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,947 Senior Member
    I used to give the annual holiday party for the investment division of H's company. We always had several mini-kegs, in addition to cases of wine and non-alcoholic beverages, and H and a friend of his very much enjoyed deciding what to order from one of the local breweries. I can assure you, it was not a red-cup brawl. :)
This discussion has been closed.