Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rape Cases Influencing Admissions?

caffeinemoleculecaffeinemolecule Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
I'm not applying to UVA, but I am slightly curious of this. How many of you prospective students have either changed or not changed your mind on applying or attending UVA due to the current sexual assault allegations? I'm predicting that the number of apps that they get this year will be slightly lower than before.

Replies to: Rape Cases Influencing Admissions?

• silverdropsilverdrop Registered User Posts: 437 Member
    edited November 2014
    I had already submitted my application prior to reading about the rape cases. While they are not going to cause me to withdraw my application, they are definitely going to be a factor when deciding between schools if I am accepted.
  • Sakacar3Sakacar3 Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    DH was against D applying (before this broke) because of the culture of the school (based on a reasonable association - a close family member attended). She did apply, but I do not think it is a choice at this point. (If the app hadn't been submitted, she would not have.) This is based on the culture, though, and the attitudes, not the specific incident, which could have happened anywhere, sadly. This was just the final straw for us.
  • esteemomesteemom Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    I would not only never let my D apply there... I would never let my S apply either. Its a shameful environment.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 7,997 Senior Member
    "I would never let my S apply either. It's a shameful environment." Wow. That's a pretty strong statement. You seem to have a son at USC. You might want to Google USC rape. Your school has its own set of issues.Are you going to send him elsewhere?
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    It's not the crime but the cover-up that makes us give UVA the thumbs down.
  • GreatKidGreatKid Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    It would be interesting to see what the ramifications of the New York Times article were to Hobart & William Smith's applicant numbers following the incident that took place there in September of last year.
    Unfortunately the administrations at schools are never likely to assertively state that they are wrong or they had erred. To do so would so makes them so much more vulnerable legally.
    The Hobart & William Smith occurrence was very troubling to me because our daughter had been accepted there and as a family we had been there twice. I know these incidents happen at many schools, it just feels so much more personal when you have been there and know the school reasonably well.
    It has to be incredibly disturbing for UVA applicants, present students and their families.
  • caffeinemoleculecaffeinemolecule Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    Here's an article that lists what some of the 76 schools under investigation for sexual assault have done. http://www.msnbc.com/ronan-farrow-daily/college-sexual-assault-campus-campus-report-card
    I personally don't think many of them took enough action to address this issue.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    Hard to say. PSU stated apps were UP after the Sandusky scandal. But then we noticed that merit awards appeared on the scene that were not offered before to up the accept rates. No idea what the true impact was on that school I know it took the lustre off of it for my son. He had dropped UVA from his list even before all of this,but yes, I think in the final reckoning, it might have made a different as UVA was not his clear first choice. Had it been, don't know what the impact would have been. Had it been his lottery ticket, shoot for the stars school, it wouldn't have mattered, and that might be were UVA will be getting most of its students this year, from that category.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,761 Senior Member
    As long as the administration follows through to change the environment, students will still apply. It is such a strong school that I can't imagine a significant impact.

I do imagine that there will be endless questions from students and parents though before deciding to attend. They will need to show significant steps toward prevention and accountability to keep their yield high.
  • ggarner57ggarner57 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    UVA remains my number 1 school, even with the cases, I just felt at home there, and feel that little can change that.
  • CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,073 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I think UVa will come out of this as one of the toughest colleges in investigating and punishing sexual assault. The board that governs UVa has recently established a policy of permanent expulsion, instead of temporary suspension, for sexual assault. There will also be much more pressure to file criminal charges, so that the same predator cannot go after future victims. Studies show a few predators are responsible for most of the sexual assaults on most campuses.

I'd like to see some of these cases treated like spousal abuse. The police can typically file criminal charges of spousal abuse even if the spouse does not agree to it. Even if it was not possible to get a conviction without cooperation of the victim, at least there would be a criminal record of the accusation, which would be helpful in any future investigation.
  • bsalumbsalum Registered User Posts: 549 Member
    My daughter wanted to withdraw her application. As scary as it is, and as unhappy as I am, I told her to wait. At least there is a conversation going on. There are other campuses where terrible things happen, and there is no conversation. This could be more dangerous. I do wish they had suspended the fraternities for a longer period- perhaps 5 years- so the men could begin again with a fresh slate and without the negative influences. I also think the fraternity in question should be shut down permanently. UVA could clean them up and rent them from Nationals and treat them more like dorms.
  • Daddio3Daddio3 Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    We took the school off my daughter's list. She is OOS, but with a decent shot at being admitted. It wasn't at the top of her list, though, which might have made the decision harder. I suspect the safest bank to be in might be the one that just got robbed ...
  • FelicitaFelicita Registered User Posts: 498 Member
    @daddio3 I agree that the UVa will, most likely, be one of the safest campuses around after all of the important issues are addressed. It really seems like there is a desire to change the culture....time will tell.
  • EunJinnieEunJinnie Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    What is currently happening with UVA regarding this scandal eerily reminds me of the Virginia Tech shooting. Years later, it is still a much-desirable school, as the majority of my friends are current students. I myself am considering transferring to UVA after community college, and I must say this does not faze me. Schools have their problems, but obviously not everyone exemplifies the poor qualities that were portrayed in the article.
This discussion has been closed.