Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

What are my chances for Exeter? Upcoming 11th Grader

sarabrad99sarabrad99 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited December 2014 in Prep School Chances
GPA- 97/ All A's

SAT- 2090 (Rdg- 720, Math- 650, Writing- 720)

PSAT- 211- top 98% of nation

I have amazing recommendations- two from teachers, one from my pastor, and my principal added a personal letter.

Extracurriculars- tennis, volunteer leader at my church every week, tutor afterschool, math team, beta club, chorus, art. I'm not involved in much because I go to a very small school now and there's little to no clubs or activities.

I'm really strong in academics. I'm top of my class, top of my school for SAT and PSAT, taking three AP classes, two of which aren't even offered at my school. I have an off-campus interview for next week. I'm hoping I didn't leave anything out, any idea or any suggestions for my interview?

Replies to: What are my chances for Exeter? Upcoming 11th Grader

• GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    Your chances will be significantly improved by applying as a repeat 10th grader.
  • sarabrad99sarabrad99 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Why, exactly? I'm new to this admissions thing.
  • mrnephewmrnephew Registered User Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    There are very few spots available for 11th grade, as compared to the more abundant spots available for 10th graders.
    Because there are more slots for new 10th graders than there are for new 11th graders. And because 11th grade is a punishing time to start at a new and tougher school, w college applications right around the corner.
  • sarabrad99sarabrad99 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Would I even have a chance as an 11th grader?
    Oh and not to mention the much greater workload in junior year, with all of the stress that comes along with that.
    Huh. Didn't reload. I just repeated everything GMT said.

You might have a chance. But it definitely won't be a good one, not that any year applying to Exeter is a good chance.
    That's what i was referring to when i said "punishing"
  • limsanitylimsanity Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I'm a new Upper at Andover this year. I think you have a definite shot as an eleventh-grade applicant. If I were you and my parents were willing, I would also consider applying as a repeat tenth grader. You'd have many more opportunities to establish yourself as a student (getting higher into the curriculum, reinforcing course material with "repeat" classes) and as a leader on campus (which has been pretty hard for me this year).
  • limsanitylimsanity Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I'm also a tiny bit obligated to suggest you apply to Andover, which is obviously Exeter's better half ;)
  • theidoittheidoit Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    I'm currently a returning Lower at Exeter ('17). My class was the largest prep class in Exeter history, and we still accepted a normal amount of new lowers this year-- so chances are the number of new Uppers they will bring in is minuscule. I'd suggest applying as a repeat!
  • prep1919prep1919 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    also the 2018 class is a small class, so they will likely bring in a lot of new lowers. i definitely recommend applying as a repeat lower
This discussion has been closed.