Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

****UNOFFICIAL Class of 2015 National Merit Finalist Thread****

Replies to: ****UNOFFICIAL Class of 2015 National Merit Finalist Thread****

• albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    What large public high school are you referring to, @STEMFamily?
  • GoAskDadGoAskDad Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    Congratulations to our latest posters and thanks to everyone for keeping the list of states current, espc @PAMom21.

@mesdeuxgarcons, I'm incredibly happy for your DS! Wow, if he got in with 3 semester C+s on his transcript, then that gives hope to others of us. I believe we saw some posters on other threads who were bumped out with just one semester C this year, as in years past.

If you don't mind sharing - and this is really more for historical purposes, to help those who may read this thread in the next couple of years - were your DS's C+ grades in AP or Honors, and did he get those grades at the end of the year, or at the semester? My greatest concern for my own DS is that his C (not a +, but our HS doesn't do those or it would have been) was at the end of the year, in an unweighted class. The class was an accelerated study of chemistry for sophs only, but it carried no honors, no weighting. And my DS did not do well on the final, bringing him down just below a "B." Had the teacher rounded up, as some did, he would have made the "B," just like he did 1st semester. I note all of this mainly so that others - either now or later - can get an idea of how a "C" may, or may not, affect moving from NMSF to NMF.

@SparkleMom97, are you following this? We have someone w/a C reporting-in as NMF!
  • beyondreliefbeyondrelief Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    My DD received her certificate from her principal today. We are in Central Florida.
    @beyondrelief Your username is very apt for this thread. Congratulations on your spectacular news!
  • MinneMom2MinneMom2 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    ^^ I totally agree. Why waste postage when you can email everyone instantly?
  • mesdeuxgarconsmesdeuxgarcons Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Thanks for the follow-up questions @GoAskDad. I wanted to post our story because I've read everything on CC about National Merit with a less-than-stellar transcript. DS attends a small, highly rigorous private school in the SF Bay Area (11 NMSF's in a class of under 70). They don't have "year" grades, only semester grades, even in yearlong classes. DS got one semester C+ each year in freshman, sophomore and junior years, all in academic solids and none in honors classes. Freshman and sophomore year were in the fall. Junior year was in the spring. I think he may have gotten through because of a combination of any or all of the following: he has taken honors classes, done well, and gotten 5's on the corresponding AP's, scored a 223 in a state with a high cutoff of 221, very strong follow-up SAT, excellent essay, school recommendation which incorporated positive teacher comments partially mitigating the C+'s (which were in foreign language and math). Or just luck! Wishing the best to everyone still waiting.
  • CoMoMomCoMoMom Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    My D found out this evening when the GC posted the names of all NMF for our public school district on the EEE Facebook page!!! We are in Missouri.
    Congats, @CoMoMom!
  • nycparent12nycparent12 Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    NYC here. Nothing in mail, nothing from school. Though I remind myself that son's high school didn't notify the semifinalists until the first week of October. So, I'm glad that the Finalist notification letters are being sent directly to the students directly.
  • XenabeanXenabean Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @soccermom12 - my DS is planning to attend Baylor in Fall 2015. He loves the campus, the Christian environment and the amazing access to professors. We have been there on six different occasions, and every time, we've been impressed by everyone we come into contact with. It's a 13+ hour drive for us, but at least close enough.
  • DiffMomDiffMom Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    edited February 2015
    @soccermom12 DS is at Baylor. It is a pretty campus. He has been pleased with the religion department professors.
  • studycollegestudycollege Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    Thank you!
  • TicClinTicClin Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I have 8 Bs in my transcript and go to a public school in Texas.. Hopefully they'll have and release the scores tomorrow! Anxiety is in overdrive rn. Btw what does D and DS stand for? E.g: 'My D is excited'
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,769 Senior Member
    D= daughter, DS= dear son (could be dang or similar depending on context) dd= dear daughter (again depends on context) H= husband, dh= dear husband...
This discussion has been closed.