right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Parents of the HS Class of 2015

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2015

• ITBgirlITBgirl 369 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    @DiffMom - wow, I am ready for D to start but not ready enough to send her off right now, I feel for you!

D goes sailing this weekend with 20 other HC students and some professors. 13yr old son has last exams today! Should be relaxing weekend before party and grad activities next weekend.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellzshellz 1376 replies38 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @DiffMom ((((gentle hugs)))). That empty nest is something we are fast approaching as well. To not have the summer to adjust more slowly, even though we knew it was coming, is kinda sad. Countdown clock is at 26 days here. Wishing I could slow down time....
    · Reply · Share
  • BarflyBarfly 1436 replies20 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Wrestlersmom, my S1 never heard back from his freshman year potluck roommate until about a week before the semester started. S1 emailed and texted, waited a few weeks, then tried again. Crickets! Finally, right before school started, S1 tried for a 3rd time and got a short little reply. That seemed very odd… But the kid was a great roommate! They roomed together all 4 years. Never best friends due to totally different interests and cultures, but PERFECT roommates! Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • veggyloverveggylover 130 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It is exciting to learn how everyone is busy with end of school year activities. I am amazed at the differences of when our kids end the school year. S graduates on June 18th and we are having a celebration dinner before then. I am looking for ideas for guests' goodie bags. What to put in them? A phone charger, $10.00 restaurant gift cards, things like that. I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • mdcmommdcmom 727 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited May 2015
    I've never received a goodie bag for a graduation party, and I've been to a LOT because the pastor's family gets invited to every graduation of every senior in the church :) . Is this a thing in other parts of the country? (We're in rural New York.) I have seen people order up a set of refrigerator magnets with the senior's graduation picture on them and their new address, but that's about it.
    edited May 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • cd2015cd2015 257 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I have been to only a few graduation parties and never heard of goodie bag. It may be regional.. but restaurant card seems nice or local icecream shop's gift card - if they have any! Support local business and it is summer - people will actually use that too :-)
    · Reply · Share
  • veggyloverveggylover 130 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hmmm.... thanks mdcmom... it is not a thing here in New Jersey as far as I know. I just thought it would be fun. Depending what other parents tell me here, I may be dissuaded!
    · Reply · Share
  • PhxRisingPhxRising 317 replies2 threadsRegistered User Member
    DS is on a week vacation with his two closest HS buddies. He's been gone 5 days and I asked DH last night if he had actually noticed that he's gone. We agreed that we see so little of him any more that it's not a big transition. The only difference when he's in college will be that the 3rd car will be parked out front all the time instead of cruising around.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhandcorhandco 4240 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'd do some fun "everybody wins" games and have $10 gift cards as a prize. No one would need a phone charger as they aren't universal and people usually have them.

Never heard of a goody bag at a grad party. Not planning a grad party, there will be enough of them.

Planning to take my son for a steak dinner after he graduates.
    · Reply · Share
  • giterdonegiterdone 1398 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Around here, grad parties/open houses are the norm. And kids make quite a haul that's better than a job for many. S'15 should net about $3,000 from his.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellzshellz 1376 replies38 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Do a candy buffet, and put out cute little bags (or small Chinese take out containers). Everyone gets a little sweet treat to take home. Or how about some cute personalized luggage tags for the grads? Should be easy, and useful for those traveling to school.
    edited May 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • ITBgirlITBgirl 369 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited May 2015
    @giterdone 3k that is amazing! I didn't even do announcements because I said I knew I wouldn't recoup the cost of them. We have no extended family and the friends that D exchanges with will be a wash b/c they are all graduating too. We are doing a party, just to celebrate, but I don't expect much in the way of gifts.
    edited May 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • LadyArwynLadyArwyn 218 replies17 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Today was the second of five year-end recognition ceremonies, and today was also cap and gown distribution and yearbook distribution. It's getting exhausting, and there are still two weeks left. Monday is senior skip day, and darling daughter will be spending the entire day catching up on history assignments her teacher is graciously letting her turn in late. Then comes finals and graduation two weeks from today. And then it's still not over. The senior party starts right after graduation, lasts till 5 a.m. Saturday, and we are having a grad BBQ Saturday afternoon.
    · Reply · Share
  • ILMom13579ILMom13579 332 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    D's graduation was last night - what a great ceremony! Almost exactly one hour, start to finish, thank goodness - they have it in the gym and it was very warm! Finish up the weekend with her sister's 8th grade honors night and graduation and then it's off to orientation next week. Summer will be busy so D's remaining time here will go by quick - as much as I'm looking forward to her starting the next chapter in her life, the reality of her missing from the dinner table every night is slowly sinking in...
    · Reply · Share
  • amandakayakamandakayak 2396 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @veggylover for my son's grad party I made candy bar wrappers with his senior pic some graduation sayings/wishes and congrats to the class of... whatever you want - there's a bunch of crafty people who put templates online that I used. Bought a box of candy bars from Sams Club.
    · Reply · Share