Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Parents of the HS Class of 2015

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2015

• scholarmescholarme Registered User Posts: 2,750 Senior Member
    ((( @shoboemom ))) I am so sorry for your loss
  • shoboemomshoboemom Registered User Posts: 2,058 Senior Member
    Thank you all for your kind comments. I have missed you guys.

@rhandco, Thank you...My H's parents arrived for graduation the same day that my mom passed. It was very hard for me to deal with the fact that both of his parents could be there (and have been at many grandkids' graduations), but neither of my parents lived to see their only grandchild's. Happy for D that they could be there for her...but it was very hard. =(( They would have been so proud and thrilled. Graduation and college was not a given in their world as it was for my H's family.

These endings bring up so many feelings, and I am seeing parallels and getting my emotions mixed up. I was feeling so much like I didn't do enough for my mom, though I did quite a bit...and I feel that as a parent...wishing I'd been better in this way or that way, little things really, but things I often thought I'd get around to...
  • ClubAcresClubAcres Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Been wondering how you and your d were doing @shoboemom I am so sorry for the loss of your mother.
    Hope your d enjoys her orientation.
  • PhxRisingPhxRising Registered User Posts: 319 Member
    @shoboemom: Oh, I'm so sorry. I figured you were just busy with grad stuff,but losing your mom is very tough. At least for your D she had her other set of grandparents there, but that doesn't help with your feelings about your own parents.

My dad died in '94. He saw one granddaughter, who was 1 at the time he passed. When my DS was born my uncle, dad's brother, said how much my dad would have loved to have a grandson. It made me sad that he didn't live for that. I'm sure that my parents would have been much better grandparents had he been around to make arrangements for visits, than my mother has been as an unattached grandmother. The circle of life, I guess.
  • DiffMomDiffMom Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    @shoboemom, very sorry for the loss.

D also went to the college that is financially the best choice. She is in SS there due to the program starting the summer before freshman year. It is very quiet over the summer (except for all the orientation sessions) and she is used to being super busy plus she doesn't have the flexibility of having a vehicle. Trying to keep her looking forward to fall, then she'll be so busy joining clubs, etc, she won't know what to think.
  • daisychaindaisychain Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    So sorry for your loss, @shoboemom. Such a hard thing. Hope that your D loves orientation and embraces her school!
  • 3girls3cats3girls3cats Registered User Posts: 1,984 Senior Member
    @shoboemom, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine the mixture of high and low. Big hugs to you. I hope that the college orientation leaves you both so happy that you can't imagine why it wasn't her first choice right from the start.

@scholarme and @twinsmom15, congratulations to your children on val/sal/sal! Those are huge honors.
  • shoboemomshoboemom Registered User Posts: 2,058 Senior Member
    LOL @scholarme. That would likely get a lot of applause! The most well received moments of the speech at D's graduation were when they referenced other students who were well known/well liked for something.
  • STEMFamilySTEMFamily Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about your Mom @shoboemom . Mine passed away last year after a pretty amazing year on hospice. We all knew it was coming but it was and is still very hard.
  • Irishmomof2Irishmomof2 Registered User Posts: 963 Member
    edited June 2015
    I volunteered to chaperone at Project Graduation. What was I thinking? I become very cranky by 10:30 p.m. and I have to be there until 12:30 a.m.!

One of my daughter's friends isn't going to go to college. She got accepted to the Musical Theater program at Fairleigh Dickinson, but neither of her parents went to college and they didn't understand their financial aid letter - they can't afford to send her there. So sad.
  • rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,292 Senior Member
    My son's Project Graduation is over at THREE AM! He is NOT going needless to say, and it sounds really bogus - some indoor swimming and snacks.
  • VMTVMT Registered User Posts: 1,198 Senior Member
    I never heard of Project Graduation, but just looked it up.

This Friday evening, the high school is opened up to the Seniors. They bring in a bouncy bounce, a climbing wall, and we have a pool that I think is opened. The gyms are opened with all evening basketball going on. And pizza and goodies are provided along with game prizes. My S'12 loved it. D'15 looking forward to it. Friday is her last official day of school. Monday is the senior class trip. Graduation isn't until the 26th. So, we still have time....