right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Parents of the HS Class of 2015

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2015

• HeliMom74HeliMom74 550 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 582 Member
    **** are "Academic Excellence Fees" and why are they SO MUCH?
    · Reply · Share
    College Confidential even stars out acronyms? Great googly-moogly.
    · Reply · Share
  • albert69albert69 3191 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    @ItsJustSchool It's a regular size iron. It's just not as fancy and huge as some could get, that's all. I will look up ways to pack a suit and shirt, thanks for the tips.
    · Reply · Share
    Get a hand steamer. Trying to iron decently on the mini boards is a surefire route to insanity.
    · Reply · Share
  • giterdonegiterdone 1398 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    S'15 is limiting all 24" of rod space to just essentials. No room for a suit, or even khaki's. Although, we haven't gotten him in a suit since 5th grade... :-S
    · Reply · Share
  • singermom4singermom4 650 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 679 Member
    Is anyone getting a stick vacuum? We've been grossed out by the carpets in all the dorms we have visited. Also planning to throw an area rug on top - not sure what size to get - 5' x 7'?
    · Reply · Share
  • MuggleMom19MuggleMom19 5 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    We got one of the mass mailings about purchasing carpet and it gave suggested dimensions for all if the different rooms. I also found all the room measurements online on the school website (where it showed the floor plans of the different rooms). I did a screen shot so I'd have the info handy.
    · Reply · Share
  • MuggleMom19MuggleMom19 5 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Oh and for the throw rug, I am going to get the smaller-sized "fluffy" rug that was in the buy-all-your-stuff-at-once brochure
    · Reply · Share
  • DiffMomDiffMom 157 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    Just a suggestion for those whose kids have sensitive stomachs: May want to have some plain food for them, i.e., grits, unsalted crackers, etc., that they can keep on hand.
    · Reply · Share
  • albert69albert69 3191 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    I'm bringing beef jerky and crackers. I love jerky, and it will come in handy if the protein at some meals is a little sparse.
    · Reply · Share
  • crepescrepes 561 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 593 Member
    @singermom4 I was disappointed that D's dorm room has linoleum but after reading your post I realize that I prefer it to gross carpet!
    · Reply · Share
    Surely housing would have some vacuum cleaners that could be borrowed? Or is that not realistic?
    · Reply · Share
  • BeeDAreBeeDAre 1153 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,165 Senior Member
    Almost every residential hall I've been in, and have toured, has a closet with vacuums, cleaning supplies, that students can borrow, or request to borrow.
    However, a small stick vacuum cleaner would not take up much room and suffice for weekly maintenance.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhandcorhandco 4237 replies55 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,292 Senior Member
    SansSerif, my son is very similar. He has been slacking off on a summer assignment, something he committed to for HS but will likely give up on. Luckily he graduated without it, but we paid extra for it so we're rather angry with him, but you can't get blood from a stone.

He also had to be walked through forwarding his college email to his main email. All his friends use his main email, so he will still use that and "send as" his college email when he needs to.

I don't think he has any idea that it is less than 3 weeks before he has to move in. He has not packed at all, and I bought him sheets but he hasn't washed them yet. I'm not sure how many clothes we need to buy, he has many empty drawers in his two dressers, and piles of stuff on the floor :(

Trying to get out of the magical thinking mode and into the "this is going to be my reality very soon" mode.
    · Reply · Share
  • singermom4singermom4 650 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 679 Member
    edited August 2015
    Yes - residence halls do have vacuums available but they may not be in great condition (I am picturing it spewing out dust rather than collecting it) - I found a well-rated stick vacuum for about $20 so it's fairly inexpensive. I'm hoping it would be used more often if he doesn't have to take the extra step of signing it out. @crepes - I also initially didn't care for the linoleum floors but see the wisdom and ease of keeping that type cleaner.

I'm also debating on whether to get S an iron or steamer. He definitely would not use it for his everyday clothes - would only be for the odd time he may want to wear a dress shirt or pants. I think he will also take a suit jacket - might be used for class presentations? A suit vest is also a good way to dress it up if you don't want to pack the jacket.

Starting to compile a list of questions to send to housing:

- floor size (for rug)
    - closet rod length
    - central light in room? Otherwise need to purchase standing lamp in addition to desk lamp
    - mirror?
    - length of wall space if bed is lofted

And are most kids lofting their beds? I know it makes sense for the greater floor space but it seems cumbersome to climb in and out of bed and reduces the 'seating' options (have purchase an oversize soft folding chair) We are renting a 'micro-fridge' (microwave and refrigerator) unit so that will also take up some space. Planning to get stackable cubes for extra storage (books, snacks etc) - but haven't looked for them yet - any recommendations?

Also - maybe a small folding table to put food/drinks on to avoid disasters on the desk?
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share