Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Parents of the HS Class of 2015

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2015

• cd2015cd2015 Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    For food, DS had a list of things and I managed about 80% of those.. The other 2 will have to wait till thanksgiving!
  • SansSerifSansSerif Registered User Posts: 814 Member
    Our college pile is growing ... but nowhere near complete. We leave Saturday morning and I'm taking Friday off because I know there will be last-minute things to do.
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    Well, got done with my first two classes today. The instructors seems really good! I'm getting to work directly on the homework/reading assignments.
    My Calc III teacher said something interesting. He was saying how yes, the handout he gave us was probably some of the hardest and most detailed math we were ever going to read, but that it was really good stuff and to try to read it, and we'd go through it in class. (This is an Honors class, keep in mind.) Then he said something like "I'm going to teach you like they do at Harvard, Oxford, Princeton... it's math - it's all the same and you aren't going to get it dumbed down just because you're in Wichita." I couldn't help thinking of all the students on here that end up at the state U Honors Colleges when they originally wanted to go to some elite school and how interesting it would be if their teachers told them something like that. ;)
  • DiffMomDiffMom Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    Got back last night from moving D in. Drive and move-in wore me out! We managed to get her stuff with 3 trips apiece from the car to the dorm. I'm thankful she travels somewhat light.
  • giterdonegiterdone Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    @albert69 I wasn't there, and "tone" means alot... but my guess is, that was a warning >:) not a brag.
    @giterdone That's probably true. I don't expect to breeze through Calculus classes though, so maybe I didn't pick up the warning note. It was just striking to me after the countless conversations I've participated in or observed on here about that topic that he would just say something like that. Not that I will know if it's true or not seeing as I will likely never take Calc III at Harvard, but it was just interesting.
  • LadyArwynLadyArwyn Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    My daughter's classmates scattered to the four winds right after graduation - summer jobs, summer early starts, family trips, etc. If they're still on the original plan - no one knows.
  • LadyArwynLadyArwyn Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    Wow, everyone moving in. I'm kinda jealous, but glad we have the time to fix her screwed-up classes!
  • mdcmommdcmom Registered User Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2015
    Moved DD'14 back to school yesterday. She had early move-in because she needed to start her job last night, so no crowds, easy parking, and no trouble at all getting a dolly for her bins :) . This year her dorm is a new one rather than one of the historic ivy covered ones, which means AC! Post-war elevators! Even if the building isn't as pretty. So far she only needs us to bring 4 things when we move DS'15 on Thursday.

DS'15 is also moving in early because he's doing an overnight retreat for freshmen with a Christian fellowship group there. He has only requested homemade pudding so far. I got teary last night folding his socks, which is funny because that is the chore I hate THE MOST.

Summer melt: DS'15 has only been home from the summer job at a sleepaway camp for a few days, so I know no news about his friends. But I think about 50% of the class is going to our local community college and another 25% to the local state school so I don't think much usually changes. Only a handful of kids are going to private universities. DS'17 will probably do the community college route and it's too bad that everyone will compare him to his siblings because if it weren't for that, everyone would understand that as a very smart and normal choice! But we're already fielding questions about whether he's going to Cornell too :-w
    Just went over to the Honors College and used the free printing! :D
  • dustypigdustypig Registered User Posts: 927 Member
    Man, I just realized that in ONE WEEK I'm driving D down to SoCal for orientation. We've bought her new bedding etc. but haven't washed it yet, and she has not done one bit of packing. She and her friends keep on having "last time" get-togethers. I think she'll be stuffing clothes into black plastic garbage bags the night before we leave.

Today was D17's first day of school. She found out her schedule last night and there were no surprises, thank goodness! I stood in line yesterday at check-in and had a conversation with another mom whose older son is at Cal Poly (mech engineering major) and she said that he NEVER gets the classes he wanted at first; he always has to meet with people and argue and wangle his way in. He's taking 5 years to graduate. At least in-state tuition is low!
  • rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,292 Senior Member
    " 2015 daughter just received two textbooks via FREE .pdf from some of her Engineering upperclassmen friends! I am doing the happy dance and my wallet is smiling! "

Just a note that getting a copy of a pdf of a published work for free is illegal. So I would not have her brag about it.

We actually had an instructor send around a pdf of a book to a few students, and had to squash that pretty quickly. Mainly because we didn't want them fired (copyright violation and plagiarism are two big reasons to get professors fired).

We will be using eBay for books, though nowadays there are so many electronic resources that are required, usually they have the students only able to get the eBook and eResources together, not just the eResources.

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
    Maybe the upperclassmen bought the pdfs and are passing them onto her "used".