right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How Schools Are Handling An 'Overparenting' Crisis

Replies to: How Schools Are Handling An 'Overparenting' Crisis

• carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys 6900 replies224 threads Senior Member
    Not a thing @Pizzagirl , not a thing . Pretty smart if you ask me.
    · Reply · Share
  • inspiration12inspiration12 156 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Do people think helping your child with contacts you know to network for a job is over-parenting? I don't
    · Reply · Share
  • DiffMomDiffMom 157 replies4 threads Junior Member
    edited August 2015
    While a graduate assistant years ago, I had an angry parent call asking why his DD received a failing grade in the class I taught. He provided the name and I checked attendance. D had been to class 4 times during the semester. The parent apparently did not have all the information.

And please don't go there re: graduate assistants doing the teaching. It was a class that was similar to one most students had in middle or high school. General requirement.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle 11022 replies24 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    I want my kids to learn how to network and not me. Hopefully they turn out better than my husband and I, in the networking part anyway.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15789 replies1056 threads Senior Member
    @oldfort You advised your daughter and assisted her. You did not go out and buy the apartment on her behalf. big difference.
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    Well, we bought our son a car for college graduation. H did the negotiation; S was there alongside him, but we weren't about to hand him $xx,xxx and say "get your best deal" when we have far more negotiating power at the dealership with past and future purchases. We had S "pay" for it so it goes on his record, and then we paid him back.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 2015
    There are no more negotiations for cars, only online haggling now. I bought my car far lower than other would have paid because I spent about two months researching things online. I wore the online salesmen out. LOL
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18315 replies91 threads Senior Member
    In some area, it is hard to find internship opportunity if there is not parental connections.
    · Reply · Share
    Haha. My daughter referred to those kids who got internships through parents network as nepotism, for this area anyway.
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18315 replies91 threads Senior Member
    It is, but sadly it is how the system works.
    · Reply · Share
    I'm not sure if it works. But my kid had to ask me to critique his resume, she is friend and wanted to help, and he finally got a real internship.
    · Reply · Share
  • Cameron121Cameron121 603 replies9 threads Member
    There is no shame to utilizing connections of parents and their friends to find job connections. It is still good networking in my book, especially if said parents/friends have insights/connections to their intended field of work. Yes, some kids will be more advantaged than others due to family connections, but that is life in the big city.

Unfortunately, if my S continues on his projected course, I will not be able to help him much in his field, but I will certainly try if the opportunity presents itself.
    · Reply · Share
  • gettingschooledgettingschooled 1917 replies34 threads Senior Member
    Utilizing family connections for business is as old as time in virtually every culture in history.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 4021 replies293 threads Senior Member
    Just curious, did any of the commenters read the article?
    · Reply · Share
  • BeeDAreBeeDAre 1156 replies12 threads Senior Member
    I read it.

And, @MotherOfDragons, lol. ^
    I also appreciate your honesty in sharing your story with us.

· Reply · Share
  • gettingschooledgettingschooled 1917 replies34 threads Senior Member
    I read it twice.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 2015
    MotherofDragons, haha I got you beaten. I got a high school teacher fired without my kid ever set foot there. I called the principal the year before my kid was supposed to attend that high school. I did complained about said teacher because of the rumor Ive heard about him through friend of my daughter. But we moved and her friend said the teacher either left or fired.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • morrismmmorrismm 3390 replies182 threads Senior Member
    It has always been about who you know. And I absolutely advise students to take advantage of this.

But when you don't "know" someone, it is up to your own skills. So a hovering parent that cannot provide an inside connection is probably doing their now "adult" a major disservice.

Ultimately, each person needs to be able to keep their employment no matter how they got it!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity