right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Info provided to high school Counsellor

HeyYaThereHeyYaThere 7 replies7 postsRegistered User New Member
My D's school counsellor has advised us to give details of all extra curriculars- within and outside school. He wants DETAILS on EVERYTHING outside school too. I am afraid that some of this can be used by other students to glorify their resumes. My question is - is it really necessary for the school counsellor to know everything that is going on outside school.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Info provided to high school Counsellor

• Sue22Sue22 6111 replies108 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Be happy the counselor wants to write the strongest, most detailed recommendation possible. Think about the difference between these sentences. "Outside of school Jane plays on a basketball team" and "Outside of school Jane has played power forward for the Raiders, a highly ranked club basketball team, for the last 6 years."

How would the other students get your D's information? Are you really worried that the counselor would share it with them? If so your school has a much larger, more serious problem than this one recommendation.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • csdadcsdad 2272 replies17 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @HeyYaThere , standard procedure for counselor & teachers, who are asked to submit a letter of rec. on common App, to ask for this. They typically have to write many recommendations (especially counselor) & can not know everything about every student unless the student tells them. I don't get your statement regarding other students getting ahold of it....why the paranoia?
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8739 replies321 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am afraid that some of this can be used by other students to glorify their resumes.

Your daughter must do some pretty amazing things if they can bring glory to a resume. ECs that can elevate a resume to that extent generally come with some level of outside recognition (state and national awards, etc) so they're easily found with a simple Google search and would almost certainly warrant a mention by the school GC. I think students who have exceptional resumes but generic GC recommendations are going to be a tougher sell to adcoms who may wonder, 'if this kid is so great, why doesn't the GC know about it?'
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22651 replies2223 postsVerified Member Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    This is a good thing. It means the guidance counselor wants to take the time to write personal, meaningful letters of recommendation. This is done at many schools.

And don't worry about what others do in this process -- that is out of your control. Just focus on doing the best job you can do choosing colleges and filling out your applications.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Your concern is unfounded. Kids who will lie and embellish their apps won't need to look at your kiddo's resume to do that. Like others have said, your GC sounds very on top of things. Congrats!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity