Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Big v small

coolcat212coolcat212 Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
I was wondering what are like major differences between big and smalls schools? And if one's better (in your opinion) than the other?

Replies to: Big v small

• newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I prefer big schools, for these reasons:

-More clubs
    -More possible friends
    -More majors
    -Variety of housing

Small colleges are popular for these reasons:

-Small classes
    -Close relationship with professors
    -Sense of community
    -Possibility to design your own major

All of these things depend on the school. My #1 school is huge (20,000), but has a close-knit community, with an average class size of only 22.
    Not every small school is "close-knit", so I recommend visiting colleges your interested.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,504 Forum Champion
    Tons of threads on CC on the difference between LACs and universities.
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,641 Senior Member
    @newjerseygirl98 Plenty of large schools offer the option to design a major. Some just call these customized programs multidisciplinary studies, interdisciplinary studies, or something else. In fact, IMO it's easier to design a customized field of study at a larger school owing to the larger number of courses which might tangentially relate to some theme.
This discussion has been closed.