right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Big v small

coolcat212coolcat212 10 replies18 threads Junior Member
I was wondering what are like major differences between big and smalls schools? And if one's better (in your opinion) than the other?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Big v small

• newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 2152 replies47 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I prefer big schools, for these reasons:

-More clubs
    -More possible friends
    -More majors
    -Variety of housing

Small colleges are popular for these reasons:

-Small classes
    -Close relationship with professors
    -Sense of community
    -Possibility to design your own major

All of these things depend on the school. My #1 school is huge (20,000), but has a close-knit community, with an average class size of only 22.
    Not every small school is "close-knit", so I recommend visiting colleges your interested.
    edited October 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23975 replies2404 threads Super Moderator
    Tons of threads on CC on the difference between LACs and universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • whenhenwhenhen 5530 replies111 threads Senior Member
    @newjerseygirl98 Plenty of large schools offer the option to design a major. Some just call these customized programs multidisciplinary studies, interdisciplinary studies, or something else. In fact, IMO it's easier to design a customized field of study at a larger school owing to the larger number of courses which might tangentially relate to some theme.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity