Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

National Academy of future scientists and technologists

2»

Replies to: National Academy of future scientists and technologists

• MedProfessionalMedProfessional Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    We attended the 2015 Congress of Future Scientists and Technologists along with our son and it was a very informative and inspiring event. I am amazed at the amount of negative comments and can only attribute it to not having a full understanding of what these conferences are actually about. This is not a class, although through Washington Adventist University, you may receive 1 college credit if you complete their course requirements. This is not something special to put on your college application. It is an experience that brings together a group of scientists, visionaries, and motivational speaker to broaden your child's world view and inspire them to pursue their dreams in the field of STEM. Oftentimes schools are greatly lacking in STEM content and are not geared toward highly motivated students. Everyone leads different lives, however this was a great opportunity for our child to meet a Nobel Prize winner, Astronaut Buzz Aldrin, or Entrepreneurs like Dean Kaem in person. Our son left with a renewed sense of confidence and purpose and as soon as we got home started working again on experimental projects that had given him difficulty. He also left with a bunch of business cards and contact information from fellow attendees and is already starting to collaborate with them on different projects.

As far as the cost of the program, we travel for our professional conferences each year and you must pay for your membership, each event/class, travel, lodging, and food. We easily expend triple the cost of this conference, however, we feel the benefit derived is immeasurable. The cost and time involved in putting something like this on is enormous. We don't begrudge any compensation that the company putting on the Congress (or any conference we attend) makes- if we could put the Congress on ourselves, we would. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the Congress and would have paid to attend ourselves. Everything we do in life is an investment, it's just a matter of where your priorities lie.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    MedPro: From what I can tell, the org seems to be like Janus: the programs do seem to elicit solid comments -- I'm glad you and your family rec'd value. One side, well done.

However, what I find extremely distasteful is its marketing plan -- and its outreach to kids whose funds are better spent elsewhere and its self purported boost to everyone's college application chances (e.g. the 20 year old chaperone who will write a recommendation letter for each of his/her charges), the pre-written Press Release. This other face of this org is smarmy, IMHO.
  • CCMotherCCMother Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am new to CC and have only made one earlier post. I say this because this is a new journey for us. However, I want to add to the earlier post I made last June regarding the Congress.

We eventually did attend and our son had an outstanding time and was positive he wanted to go again in 2016. The speakers were encouraging, the tempo was upbeat and the excitement contagious. By the end, I had a very exhausted but content and motivated 15 year old son.

What we didn't receive, which was promised again and again at the show, was regular followup and so called mentoring, a certificate of attendance, credentials to enter in the first place, or a satisfactory answer from anyone. When I called yesterday to ask about the lapses in communication, I was told -

* There was a glitch in the system and that there had been weekly emails and videos sent out from Mr. Rossi directly to the student's email address. I was on his email address and there were no such emails. She verified the address and said she showed there was 1 sent on 8/16 that he opened but that no others had been sent to him after that time. The rep had no explanation as to why that had happened but would have it corrected.

* Certificates were mailed in September and October to all attendees. When the rep checked, she said there was no record of him having attended, that he hadn't checked in, and had not been mailed a certificate. OH YES HE DID CHECK-IN! I'm so certain because I was the one who stood in the rain waiting for the doors to open so we could get the credentials he needed to enter the event. She made the correction and would have one sent by Christmas.

* As noted above, we never did receive the tickets, aka credentials, prior to flying to MA. I finally satisfied myself that there was actually an event by going on line and checking the University of MA at Lowell website to confirm the event was actually booked for the Tsongas Center before we left for the airport.

There is a parent's forum on facebook and there are parents who have nothing but wonderful things to say about their experiences with the event. There are also parents just like me who have had a much different experience. My point is this... From what other posters have said, this is not Mr. Rossi's first time at the rodeo and where I come from. you are only as good as your word. I find it suspect that according to the rep, my child is one of only a couple of kids who didn't receive credentials, didn't receive a certificate, and didn't receive any followup emails / videos. And yet, strangely enough, just 2 days ago, we received an email asking for more money to book the 2016 event.

My final thought is this. We will do anything to inspire and enrich our son's life that we can afford to do. He is a remarkable young man. I think we will be looking at other summer programs this year and chalk the Sci / Tech Congress up to a summer vacation that had some cool aspects to it. We should all be mindful of what Thomas Tusser said about fools and money and if you decide to send your child to the event, I wish you luck and that your outcome is much better than mine.

• jollyrancher321jollyrancher321 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Wait, I'm so confused. I want to send my daughter who just recently got invited into the program, but so many people say its a scam and that they didn't get tickets. But then how is it possible if there seems like 5000 people at the video on their main website???? It seems like a wonderful option and would it even be able to help my daughter boost up her college application?
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Besides poster #18, I don't know of anyone who says they didn't get tickets. My issue is the bloviated promises (which you seem inclined to believe) that make it not worth the value. When the for-profit org provides pseudo fake "press releases" for the students themselves to send to their local news outlets touting the program's exclusivity (and the need for most kids to fund raise in order to afford the "honor") -- then it smells to high heaven.

As a matter of fact, participants generally have a good time. But as a boost to college applications? An for-profit venture aimed at anyone with a pulse and a 3.5 GPA or better and the $1200 to $1500 of fees -- simply isn't exclusive whatsoever. And colleges know it. Did you see the part where it promises to get you a recommendation letter from your kid's advisor/chaperone? It's a 20 year old college student who writes one for everyone in his/her assigned group. How valuable do you think THAT is going to be for your kid's college application?

Receiving an invite is akin to getting invited to NSHSS or getting another app for a new Discover credit card.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,457 Senior Member
    It won't boost her college app just for attending. It's not like she earned some national award after years of dedication and savvy. Not like winning an admit to a rare state dept program or getting that NASA internship. It's not even selective. It's just another "pay to play" event held by a for-profit venture.

I know kids who attended the NYLF conference for medicine. They had a good time. The cost was chump change to their families.

But when adcoms see it, what do you think they think? OMG, this kid got the same invite thousands of others get and actually went??? She must be special?
  • Stennis74sailorStennis74sailor Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    so my daughter just got this in the mail tonight. i found this extremely odd, due to her grades being not up to par. so i started searching for more information. they are very convincing. im glad i stumbled upon this thread. im sure the program is very enlightening, but i dont have $1000 to send into the void, nor the money for air fair and lodging for three days.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,237 Super Moderator
    Please don't post to old threads. Glad you were able to find the reference using the search option.
2»
This discussion has been closed.