Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Am I Qualified for any of the following schools?

HomsarHomsar Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
Hey guys,

Recently got rejected ED from Cornell, really had my hopes up too :(
I was told I had a good chance by my guidance counselor, but I want to know if I have a chance, or if these colleges will see right through me, because I feel like I'm spread way too thin.

I'm applying to Boston, Brown, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, Harvard, Northeastern, Princeton, Stanford, Stevens, TCNJ, Ohio State, Yale, and MIT. (Already got into Rutgers, rejected from Cornell)

Objective:

SAT I (breakdown): 2090 (610 CR, 800 M, 680 W, 9 Essay) (<-- might not submit, idk yet)

ACT (breakdown): 32 (31 Eng, 33 Math, 28 Reading, 36 Science)

SAT II: 790 Math II, 750 Chem, 650 Chem (taken sophomore year), 570 Biology (taken freshman year) (DEFINITELY not submitting bio 570 or chem 650 unless i have to)

Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.80

Weighted GPA (weighted 4.0): 4.39

Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1st quintile

AP (place score in parenthesis): Chem: 4 // Physics 1: 3 // English Lang: 3

IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A

Senior Year Course Load: Gym, Marching Band, Financial Lit (requirement), The Rest AP: Physics 2, Bio, English Lit, BC Calc, Java, Spanish

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.) Pennsylvania Regional Science Fair: 3rd Place Behavioral Science Category Winner, Public Health Award. National Honors Society, Spanish National Honors Society, Science National Honors Society, Tri-M Music National Honors Society, 3rd Place Chemistry Olympics (I was told that NHS's count), Owner of Several Clones (DNA Sequences) in National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), 2nd degree black belt

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Tae Kwon Do Instructor (2010-present), 2nd degree black belt (10 years of experience), Co-President of school-run Alateen-like club at school, community blood drive organizer/liaison/volunteer, Math/Science Tutor, Music Instructor, School Choir Section Leader, County Choir (2 years), Science League, Math League, Research in Molecular Genetics Club, Marching Band/Jazz Band/Concert Band Section Leader and Captain, Varsity Lettered in Football (Quit after sophomore year to preserve health)

Job/Work Experience: N/A

Volunteer/Community service: Music Tutor/assistant at old middle school during summer, tutor, tae kwon do volunteer About 250 hours total

Summer Activities: Biomolecular research program at nearby University, Blood Bank Volunteer/donor/liaison/organizer, Junior Police Academy Volunteer during 8th and 9th grade, Tae Kwon Do Instructor

Essays: Common App: 9/10 Cornell Supplement: 8.5/10

Teacher Recommendation: 10/10- Chem teacher/mentor 10/10- H Alg 2 teacher

Counselor Rec: Prolly 9/10, doesn't know me too well but really knows how to write

Additional Rec: N/A

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Chemistry (or chemistry equivalents at colleges that don't offer it up front)
State (if domestic applicant): PA
Country (if international applicant): N/A
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: < $25,000. Significantly less than $25K

Replies to: Am I Qualified for any of the following schools?

• HomsarHomsar Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    Also, I applied to Cornell for physics. I truly do want to major in physics, but I now realize that my profile is not at all suited for physics. That being said, the plan is now to apply as chemistry major and see if I can switch over after I'm admitted somewhere, because I'm fine with either
  • XCjunior2016XCjunior2016 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    Boston U ? Match
    Brown reach
    Carnegie Mellon unsure based on major
    Columbia reach
    Harvard reach
    Northeastern match
    Princeton reach
    Stanford reach
    Stevens unfamiliar
    TCNJ unfamiliar
    Ohio State safety
    Yale reach
    MIT reach

Most of your schools seem to be high reaches/out of reach based on your SAT. Getting rejected from Cornell was a bad sign and you might wanna review you common app with fresh eyes.
    @intparent worth a shot at least, lol
    I also wrote my common app essay on abandonment and concurrently giving back, as my father abandoned our family to pursue a life of alcoholism. after several rounds of depression I decided to give back by starting an alateen organization at my school, so that dedication and gentle spirit would help my cause... but probably too little too late overall. I'll be at the right place no matter what happens though
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    I think you should not give up hope, press on, but your list is too top heavy. Maybe just 2or3 at most of hypsm. Your AP scores are not good news, hope you didn't include them. For the schools that aren't reaches, are those going to work out financially? Other words you are missing out on some great schools that may take you and meet full need, namely LACs.

I don't think most any school will care if you pick physics or chem as they are both usually in the liberal arts area, the college of arts and letters, not in other school of engineering, say. Exception I can think of you didn't apply to anyway (Berkeley has a separate college of chemistry.)
  • loquaticalloquatical Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    You won't get much (if any) financial aid from all of those OOS state schools.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,800 Senior Member
    Your stats don't fit the top heavy schools.
    I don't think most of your list is going to happen. Sorry.
  • KathleenAKathleenA Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    Try retaking the ACT's in January if you can and improve your Reading score. Only send you Math and higher Chem score (and not your AP scores). I would suggest removing MIT, Stanford, and Yale from your list and adding a few high ranked LAC schools like Wesleyan and Middlebury. Schools like that are looking for both males and science majors. LAC do not have graduate programs but the top LAC have excellent reputations and will help your resume more than a weak university.
  • TurnerTTurnerT Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    edited December 2015
    Apply to Bates College but don't send the SAT, send your ACT. Arrange a Skype interview or meet with an alumnus in NJ, or both. This will be very important in terms of acceptance.

Bates has one of the best chemistry departments in the country. You also have a gender advantage at Bates.
  • sgopal2sgopal2 Registered User Posts: 3,373 Senior Member
    Why is Penn State not on your list? You stand a good chance of getting a decent amount of FA.

If your SAT scores were a bit higher then your chances will improve at all of these schools. Why not retake?
  • wanderlustgalwanderlustgal Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    oh what BS, people who are saying that the ivies won't work for you are only looking at your scores, have you seen your ec's? send the act, don't send sat or any sat2s, except for the 750 one. after that with your ecs, i think you're as competitive of an applicant as any in the RD round. good luck!
    @sgopal2 added Penn State and Maryland today, actually.

I really think I just needed to see my app with fresh eyes, so thanks to all for the advice/suggestions/notes!

and @wanderlustgal thank you for the encouragement! The problem with this process is that being qualified no longer means admitted, but hey that's life :)
  • wanderlustgalwanderlustgal Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    @Homsar yeah pretty much, but you have as good as of a shot as any
This discussion has been closed.