right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Kitchen Remodel

Replies to: Kitchen Remodel

• fretfulmotherfretfulmother 2047 replies50 threads Senior Member
    We put in white appliances with maple (light, warm) cabinets. We also did a dark green granite counter (which we didn't originally plan but the solid surface we picked was discontinued and they "upgraded" us), and a tile backsplash with tiles I got from amazon.com. It does not look formal, but to me, looks nice and homey.

I don't like stainless appliances because they always look smudgey, and I think black has started to look dated. The risk of any color but white is that it will look dated until it comes back "in" again. The risk of white is some people really don't like it and not all home-buyers have imagination, to say the least!

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • CT1417CT1417 4430 replies24 threads Senior Member
    Since you have a little time, stop in and see if you can befriend someone in the appliance dept who will let you know when the floor models go on sale. You can realize tremendous savings for last year's model that has never been used. Home Depot will still sell you a three or five year extended warranty, if you are concerned.

· Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 9098 replies72 threads Senior Member
    I did SS, and ended up,replacing 2more appliances in that. I'm a fan of agh TV shows, and people love SS. Surprisingly, I have had no issue with fingerprints or anything.

Some people like all matching appliances. I went with quality in each. So, I have a Bosch 800 series D/W, and a GE Monogram fridge. The first appliance I replaced was oven, and I truly dislike it. It pays to do research and get good quality. I replaced the oven before I had to redo the whole kitchen. Gardenweb kitchen is an amazing site, almost as useful as CC.
    · Reply · Share
  • smdur1970smdur1970 918 replies39 threads Member
    My kitchen remodel is going on 20 years old, and we had alder cabinets (never again, long story) that look very much like the honey oak. And we chose all black appliances and I have a black toaster and coffee pot. Actually, I love the kitchen and the look; it is getting about time for a redo, but I'll keep the black appliances. You really have to look closely to see dirt and smudges!
    · Reply · Share
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom 3037 replies28 threads Senior Member
    In the last year I bought a new cooktop and oven for my slightly lighter oak cabinets. Stainless oven (floor model) and black gas cooktop. I like the black stove top as those carbony bits don't show over time around the burners. Most stainless has some black in it, so you can use both black and stainless together without issue. Who wants to look at the appliances regardless? The warm glow of the oak, the counters and backslash are what gives life to a kitchen. Though I thought I didn't like stainless, I do rather enjoy the look. Rather neat and clean.

FWIW, I bought a Sears floor model, and the discount was amazing.
    · Reply · Share
  • fendergirlfendergirl 4623 replies160 threads Senior Member
    fretful - agree with the SS looking smudgy. I know I wouldn't keep up with the cleaning on it, and also you can't hang magnets on it. Where am I supposed to stick my magnets and pictures?? Lol
    · Reply · Share
    @fendergirl - my BIL/SIL have a gorgeous kitchen with SS, and have young twins. ;) Which is where I get my opinions on that! But I think the brand matters too, in terms of the finish - @bookworm, do you have a certain kind of SS that doesn't show prints? I had no idea they weren't magnetic though!
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32752 replies160 threads Senior Member
    If I had a white kitchen I'd have no problem with white appliances. In fact right now only my stove and my sinks are stainless the rest are leftover from the previous whitish kitchen. Current kitchen is also white and if fridge dies, I'll probably replace it with stainless. I'm okay with black if the counters are dark, but otherwise I'd be inclined to go stainless, but only if you think you'd be selling soon. Otherwise do what YOU like. I don't actually like granite either. I ended up using soapstone and butcher block in mine. If I'd know how much I'd end up liking the soapstone, I'd have done everything except the island (which is really a Boze kitchen table.)
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9230 replies83 threads Senior Member
    I liked our white theme (1993- white fridge, white/back smoothtop range, white over-range microwave, black dishwasher. DH and I don't like SS, so when the frige died we choose black (matte, not glossy). It looks nice. A full remodel is probably a few years out, so when the DW dies we will need to put a stake in the ground. So I'm glad to see this thread!

In the Sunday sale ads I noitced a lot of "slate" and "black SS". Has anybody considered those options?
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3159 replies47 threads Senior Member
    We have a KitchenAid that looks SS but is not. It is magnetic, which is one of the main reasons I bought it when the last fridge died.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2015
    I actually don't mind the look of the "slate" color but only GE is making it and I'm not a big fan of their quality. (example - current stove is GE and i don't think it's horribly old). Their slate is actually smudge proof (supposedly) I'm also worried it will be like bisque and a few years down the road they won't make that color anymore and you're back to square one with missmatching colors again. They seem to be big makers of the bisque color as well. I wonder if they were the ones who started it!
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • coralbrookcoralbrook 7908 replies25 threads Senior Member
    I don't have a suggestion regarding color of appliances but I have a suggestion on how to save on the appliances.

Go to Lowe's, Home Depot and Pacific Sales (if they one near you). Ask to look at returns, discontinued and floor models. You will find a ton of deals but, unfortunately most will be stainless because that's what is highest production right now.
    · Reply · Share
    @fendergirl - I like our GE oven, wish I'd gotten a Whirlpool fridge, though (we have a Whirlpool fridge in the basement and it was too much of a pain to consider swapping them once I realized I wanted to!). I also like the GE microwave; it has lasted forever. Dishwashers are problematic. You have to lose on something with the newer models, whether it's infinitely long cycle time, or noise, or no self-cleaning filter, or really high cost, etc.

I second the recommendation for GardenWeb, and also second the statement that it's analogous to CC @bookworm!
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2015
    @fretfulmother , that's nice to hear. Maybe they have gotten better. My GE oven is awful. I have a GE microwave above the oven and the fan and light below don't work on it either!! i also had a GE washer that died on me, I replaced it with a maytag that has broken 2x (same part, both times) in the last 5 years. Thankfully I paid attention to how the repair person fixed it the first time and I swapped out the part on my own the 2nd time.

I saw a whirlpool fridge I really liked at home depot. When it's time for a fridge, I'd probably go with that one.

I will check out gardenweb :)

@coralbrook , i've been checking out the returns and open box items at all the stores on the off chance that they get something in that I like. I've seen some really good deals but nothing so far that's made me want to snatch it up. I want to go with a convection oven, and I want one with the 5th "burner" on top for the warming zone. Most of the ones I've seen are regular ovens and with 4 burners. My parents have an LG dishwasher and it's so quiet you can barely hear it running. I want to get the model number from my mom so i can look up what the sound level is for it - that way I have an idea of what to look for when I'm dishwasher shopping!
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
    Oh also, you will notice that gardenweb:Electrolux::CC:Bama
    · Reply · Share
    checking out the floor models and stuff always reminds me of when I bought my mattress. it was somehow originally 1999 and I paid 379 for the floor model - lol. Best purchase ever!
    · Reply · Share
  • teriwttteriwtt 12019 replies513 threads Senior Member
    I had no idea they weren't magnetic though!

Our SS refrigerator is magnetic; I've got pictures and Christmas cards hanging on it right now; it also doesn't show smudges very easily - must be the finish. I LOVE my SS appliances and am just a little disappointed that our new place has black appliances (oven and dishwasher; side-by-side refrigerator has wood panels on it to look like the cabinets - not a look I like, but we're going to paint the cabinets so I can live with it). But I suspect the appliances are pushing 15 years, so replacements may be in my future!
    · Reply · Share
    I think some of the newer ones have some smudgeproof finish on them (or are maybe made of a different metal that doesn't smudge as much??) I just looked it up and it's the SS with high nickel content that isn't magnetic - so i guess depends on what they are making their SS out of. Maybe the smudgeproof finish isnt nickel.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35213 replies399 threads Senior Member
    Some SS is treated to resist fingerprints. And I think the magnetic has to do with the underlay.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity