right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Spring Break Ideas -- for a family reunion of sorts

2»

Replies to: Spring Break Ideas -- for a family reunion of sorts

• TatinGTatinG 6304 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    An alternative to Florida: Kiawah Island South Carolina. There are plenty of homes and condos to rent. The golf is great. There is a long beach for beachcombing. There are kayak trips along the rivers. The bicycle trails are great. And it's just a short drive to historic Charleston with historic homes, charming streets for strolling, and excellent restaurants.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6304 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    And Charleston's airport is less than an hour away. There are direct flights from LAX but you'll have to change planes somewhere, likely Atlanta or Charlotte.
    · Reply · Share
  • nottellingnottelling 4269 replies60 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    Date shakes are vanilla milk shakes with chopped dates in them. There are lots of dates grown in Southern California deserts and date shakes are a popular, old-fashioned treat (though wayyyyyy too sweet for me).

(In the 70s lots of health food places served them, with the ice cream sweetened with honey instead of sugar. LOL!)
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2893 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,970 Senior Member
    Or another idea is a cruise leaving from Florida. We are taking a mid winter break and taking a short cruise to the Bahamas. Cruises are rather nice for varying age groups.
    · Reply · Share
  • coralbrookcoralbrook 7735 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,759 Senior Member
    Why fly to Florida??? Spring in the Palm Springs desert is incredible. Lots of great hikes/walks to streams and falls. There is an abundance of great 3 bdrm vacation rentals in the Palm Springs area.
    · Reply · Share
    However, if your spring break corresponds to the dates of the Indian Wells tennis tournament in mid-March, accommodations are likely already very limited.
    · Reply · Share
  • MichiganGeorgiaMichiganGeorgia 4389 replies85 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,474 Senior Member
    I would suggest either Key West,Fl or Jekyll Island, GA.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22104 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,118 Senior Member
    'Date Shake' was the answer on Wheel of Fortune recently, and no one in the room knew the answer! I looked it up because it seemed so strange. We've lived all over, including southern California and had never heard of them.

Now twice in just a few weeks.
    · Reply · Share
  • cnp55cnp55 3648 replies152 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,800 Senior Member
    We are stuck on Florida. I've floated other ideas -- but Florida seems to be non-negotiable as is the location/
    transportation requirements and the 3BR unit. We have pretty specific dates -- the first week/end in March.

I was really just checking to see if someone had some great west coast spots that I had not discovered in my searches. Thanks to someone's suggestion, I have found a nice house in Siesta Key that might possibly work.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
    · Reply · Share
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 2167 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,173 Senior Member
    Fly into Jacksonville and stay on Amelia Island. Golf, beach, tennis, 3 bedroom villas. Short drive to Jacksonville and even 45 min. to St. Augustine.
    · Reply · Share
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons 3934 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,959 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I would second @Onward 's suggestion of a cruise-there are 3,4, and 6 night cruises leaving out of Port Canaveral (about an hour east of Orlando) and some leaving from Tampa.

If you want to stay on property in Disney affordably you can rent DVC (Disney Vacation Club) points from a member. They have studios, 1 and 2 bedroom villas, and grand villas (those are amazing). Google "DVC Daddio" for one of the better points brokers (I have no relation to them but have used them). You can also rent directly from a member. Avoid renting points on ebay.

Sanibel Island will be warm that time of year, and it's very pedestrian friendly. The shells on that beach are incredible.

Some of our friends have vacation homes at Seaside, Alys Beach, or Rosemary Beach-very pedestrian & family friendly, gorgeous, gorgeous beach (watch the movie The Truman Show to see what Seaside looks like-no joke!), but it may not be super warm in March. It can vary. They're all very close to each other on the panhandle of florida.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4087 replies298 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,385 Senior Member
    I was one that suggested Siesta Key. The Village of Siesta Key is walkable or a short drive depending where you are...fun laid back restaurants. Downtown Sarasota is a very happening place to walk around and restaurants. St. Armand's circle is a go to...The Colombia restaurant is a must...make reservations.
    · Reply · Share
  • cnp55cnp55 3648 replies152 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,800 Senior Member
    I visited a friend in Siesta Key a few years ago. I know the family would love it -- just trying to find the right place. (Found one that was 5-star perfect, but it rented for all of our possible dates before I could snag it.)
    · Reply · Share
  • takeitallintakeitallin 3352 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    We have a rental in Siesta Keys on the beach but it's not big enough for your purposes. Be sure to visit Myakka River State Park in Sarasota while there. It is a beautiful park with a lot of wildlife and a lot to do.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity