right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

NVM ... That Application is Just Too Annoying!

Replies to: NVM ... That Application is Just Too Annoying!

• collegebound1516collegebound1516 290 replies37 threadsRegistered User Member
    I thought Wake Forest looked fantastic, but they had a ridiculous number of supplements. I already had 30+ others, so it wasn't worth it.

I also didn't do Elon because it was the only school on my list that wasn't on the Common App, and I really didn't feel like filling out all of that information over again
    · Reply · Share
  • porcupine98porcupine98 1593 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A couple of schools fell by the wayside because in the moment, the extra supplements were just one more thing. That said, I think that was a good thing, discouraging one half-hearted application and one unrealistic one. I'm honestly surprised by the schools that don't require a supplement at all, especially the selective ones. You'd think they'd want kids to at least demonstrate enough interest to squeeze out a couple hundred specific words.
    · Reply · Share
  • okon2122okon2122 267 replies21 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Yes. Didn't apply to Smith because of the 'remember the last time you laughed' question....
    · Reply · Share
  • SpencekSpencek 35 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    One of my friends who got accepted to UChicago told me that the essays are quite infamous there. She said that the essay is everything there, and that creativity earns acceptances.
    · Reply · Share
  • VaishSVaishS 1718 replies18 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Lol by the end (of 16 apps) I ended up crossing off a few schools regardless of essay length. Georgetown was first off the list
    · Reply · Share
  • Zeppelin7Zeppelin7 379 replies29 threadsRegistered User Member
    Ah dropped Penn for that very reason -- application fatigue. It was really high on my list and maybe number one after getting rejected from my dream school ea. It's also worth noting that it was my new number one because of one of its dual-degree programs which, after A LOT of thought, I decided not to apply for. So without the dualdegree to motivate me, I couldn't bring myself to write it.

Now that I don't have application fatigue, I regret not applying to it nonetheless. Right now I feel application fatigue was my was just an excuse, but it seemed very real back during app season.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhiannapsrhiannaps 68 replies20 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited January 2016
    I didn't apply to Barnard even though it's one of my dream schools, partially because of the essays. I doubt I'd have gotten accepted anyways, and the essays were just too much work for me. I'd already written dozens of essays by the time I looked at Barnard's application and I just had to say "enough." Application fatigue at its finest. Hey, if I decide I need to go there, I can always apply as a transfer.

I have no regrets, since that time and energy was put toward more important things.

Edited for profanity. - FC
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
  • cowtownbrowncowtownbrown 145 replies22 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I dropped USC because of their "enter your whole transcript course by course" nonsense......
    But for my top choice schools, including my range of mid, safety and high, it changed nothing.
    · Reply · Share
  • LikeThisLikeThis 197 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Yes, supplements can be annoying. I added three schools because they didn't require supps, but in the end I'm the more nervous about those schools when compared to, say, Stanford (10 short/long supplements.) It seems like the no-supp schools have so little to judge by.

I'd rather write more supplements, really. It seems then they'd be making the decision based on me and my actions.
    · Reply · Share
  • marvin100marvin100 8568 replies1249 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    he wondered if he really wanted to go to a school that asked you "To Tweet or Not to Tweet?" (Basically, "does tweeting make you vain?") We all thought it was a pretty stupid prompt.

It is. Totally stupid.

UChicago's zany/vague/bonkers prompts, on the other hand, work as a great filter--those who are good fits for Chicago tend to love them; those who don't love them may not be such good fits.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78238 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I dropped USC because of their "enter your whole transcript course by course" nonsense......

Weird. USC requires official transcripts as well, unlike some other schools where applicants enter their courses and grades into the application and only submit official transcripts at matriculation.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12878 replies242 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Tufts.
    · Reply · Share
  • ZainSDZainSD 339 replies49 threadsRegistered User Member
    Removed Trinity College due to its essay.
    · Reply · Share
  • HeyItsNickHeyItsNick 1015 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I actually tried to avoid colleges with no supplementals although I did apply to a few that I thought would still be a good match. Colleges without supplementals made me question why they were trying so hard to increase their application numbers (was it because they wanted to be ranked higher? or is it because they're having financial troubles?)
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • SnowybunySnowybuny 234 replies12 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I didn't apply to Wake Forest because of the hashtag question. I thought about it for months and couldn't come up with anything compelling. It's a great school, but it would have been a reach and probably not a great fit for me anyway.

I also didn't apply to Indiana University because the application was literally giving me a headache - the screen would flash every time I tried to enter my basic information.

I really disliked questions along the lines of Why X Univiersity. Either I couldn't think of anything to write (or a way to write it cohesively) or I had too much to write and ran out of room.

@OHMomof2 I actually really liked the Tufts supplements for some reason
    · Reply · Share
  • thatrunnerkidthatrunnerkid 513 replies21 threadsRegistered User Member
    Again with UChicago: their essays made me interested in applying, but at the tail end of the application process I was so tired of apps that I didn't feel like writing a completely original essay (aka, one that I could make from modified scraps of other essays). So I didn't apply.
    · Reply · Share
  • NotVerySmartNotVerySmart 1608 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Dropped Georgetown from my list of EA schools early in the process. Four essays, one of them with a suggested length of 1 page. Topics that could have been taken from a Buzzfeed article entitled "10 college essays everyone hates writing." Was a little leery of going to a school where plotting to find a job in DC would make me one of about a thousand.

I also wasn't that interested in the school, and ended up getting into several EA schools I'd choose over Georgetown, so I'm exactly the type of applicant these essays are designed to filter out.

I can see why some people wouldn't like the UChicago essays - although personally I loved them - but am a little surprised the Tufts prompts would be so poorly regarded. I ultimately didn't apply, but was tempted to do so even knowing I wouldn't attend, simply because I was so fond of those essays.

As a general rule, I liked the short essays. Hard to stray off topic when you're only given 200-300 words. With no word count my Chicago essays, while seeminly adequate, were rambling.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • ffina23ffina23 140 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Yep, I dropped Georgetown because of the app too. Already wasn't sure about the vibe of the school, and coupled with a whole different application (plus 3 subject tests) I just didn't care enough to put the time in.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity