Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sorry but chance me (for next fall)

newyork17newyork17 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
Hi!

So I'm wondering what you'd rate my chances of getting in are?

I got a 1600 SAT, 1500 (out of 1520) on PSAT
4.0 GPA
Qualified for USAJMO (12 on AIME) last year
Honorable mention at Math Prize for Girls
I am female
Varsity track since freshman year
Attended Promys and HCSSiM
I do community service (math and speech) weekly
I am on the board of speech club, Latin club, and astronomy club (doing astronomy research too, and published in it)

Replies to: Sorry but chance me (for next fall)

• gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Welcome to College Confidential! You're new here, so you probably haven't seen this post by an MIT Admissions Director: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/massachusetts-institute-technology/939227-reminder-no-one-not-even-me-can-give-you-an-accurate-chance-at-mit-p1.html

You seem like a wonderful applicant, as are most students who are ultimately rejected. As Yale receives more applications from qualified applicants than they have room for in their freshman class, Admissions uses a student's teacher recommendations, guidance counselor's Secondary School Report (SSR), essays and interview report to choose one high performing applicant over another. You just have to send your application out into the universe and hope for the best. Good luck to you!
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Registered User Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    Being a female interested in math and the fact that you've already attended PROMYS and HCSSIM, I'd say you are a very competitive applicant. Astronomy research is a real bonus. Don't know what you're doing this summer but Yale is starting an astronomy/astrophysics summer program to compete with SSP. Hopefully, you applied to both. If not, perhaps you can try contacting Meg Urry at Yale and see if you can intern with her. She is currently the President of the American Astronomical Society. She has taken high school interns before.
This discussion has been closed.