right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

US Student considering studying in London

Cardinals2000Cardinals2000 28 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
I am an American citizen very interested in studying in london as an undergraduate. My perspective degree is Government and Economics/ Political Economy.

One of the main reasons I am so enthusiastic about london is the internship and career options it offers as both a financial hub and a country capital. However, I recently read on another CC thread that since I am not a UK or EU citizen I will not be eligible for any jobs and internships when I am studying in London. This seems hard to believe, but is it true?

Thank you

14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: US Student considering studying in London

• siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom 4377 replies84 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Here's a link explaining that you can get work and do internships while in London with the right visa:
    http://www.studylondon.ac.uk/application-advice/working-in-london-and-the-uk

It sounds like you are at the beginning of your college search, and it is important to understand how different the college application process is for universities in the UK. Will your family be able to pay the full cost of college?
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6364 replies48 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,412 Senior Member
    Internships are not a problem while you are enrolled- especially if you are in a top university- but in practice, being hired after you graduate is a very long shot.

(and btw, how do you think it works for international students who come to the US?!)
    · Reply · Share
  • boomtingboomting 689 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 716 Member
    As an international student you will be able to work up to 20 hours per week in term time (though, in reality, working that much is likely to damage your grades) and full time in the holidays. However, getting a job after you graduate is really very difficult for non-EU citizens, from a visa point of view - you should always have a viable plan for returning to the US, even if it isn't your first choice.

From a financial point of view, it can work out cheaper to study in the UK because degrees are three years long, not four, but be aware that you will have pay the fees they state - there is the square root of naff all available in term of funding from within the UK for international students studying in the UK.

What are your grades like? If your grades are strong, then LSE, UCL and KCL would be top choices for politics.

In terms of the application process, all applications go through UCAS (deadline for equal consideration is 15th January each year) - check out their website for more info on the application process.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6364 replies48 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,412 Senior Member
    * by grades @boomting means your standardized test scores- SAT / APs / SATIIs
    · Reply · Share
  • KajonKajon 4349 replies130 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,479 Senior Member
    For full time work, I think the key is too start looking for a full time job in the fall of your senior year. If you can secure an offer from a qualifying Tier 2 visa company then you should be able to extend your student visa (tier 4).

You have prob seen these already, but here are two sites with good info:

http://www.educationuk.org/global/articles/working-after-your-studies-guide-to-uk-visas/
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/visa/work?wssl=1
    · Reply · Share
  • versayseaversaysea 48 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Are you fairly in touch with the British political system? Because it is very different from the US and you might have to do a fair bit of catching up at the beginning to get to the level of UK students who have obviously lived through the system and many of whom have studied Government & Politics for A-Level. As for which London uni would be best for your course I would highly recommend LSE. Depending on your stats Kings could be a safety (it's not nearly as hard to get in to as people assume, I know tons of people who got in with subpar grades through clearing)
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 2016
    fwiw, OP is currently a sophomore.

AP CompGov gives a decent political background, esp if OP is also regularly reading the Economist, which is pretty much required reading for anybody interested in those areas (both subject and region).

Also, @Cardinals2000 it may be just a typo, but it's your prospective degree :-)
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
  • Ali1302Ali1302 285 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    edited March 2016
    @Cardinals2000 Either study at LSE or don't bother going to London. All other unis are sub par in politics and economics. I've lived in London for over a decade and visited most unis there. As far as economics and politics goes it's either LSE or Oxbridge, otherwise you're better of in the United States.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • cinniminnicinniminni 28 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    edited May 2016
    Regarding work and visa: I have a couple of friends who graduated from my master's and managed to find a job afterwards, but that master level and it was very hard for them. It is stressful, and not at all guaranteed you would find something. Don't just go studying in London because of jobs / internships : these will be done during your holidays anyways so you might as well live somewhere cheap while studying.
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
  • cupcakecupcake 1688 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,703 Senior Member
    If you take some APs after applying and are offered admission, it's very likely you will get a "conditional offer" of acceptance. The conditions being you must obtain specific AP scores to be admitted (and admittance will be rescinded if you don't). Conditional offers are entirely the norm for UK students who only get A-level results in August, sometimes only about three weeks before starting university.
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    However, I recently read on another CC thread that since I am not a UK or EU citizen I will not be eligible for any jobs and internships when I am studying in London. This seems hard to believe, but is it true?

Why is this so hard to believe?

As a foreign national you will need a work visa to be hired for a fulltime job. Work visas are handed out to people with exceptional skills or to people with skills that are in undersupply (e.g. after the Kobe earthquake, Japan handed out work visas to foreign construction workers because there weren't enough in japan).

What is the rationale for giving a work visa to a foreign national, newly graduated student with little to no work experience, when there are plenty of citizens (who vote and are taxpayers) needing a job? It's a political non-starter.

edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1074 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,099 Senior Member
    International students are actually allowed to work during their course - up to 20 hours a week in term time and full time in vacations. It's only necessary to have a work visa later on, after graduating.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41303 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,748 Senior Member
    Your student visa allows you to work 20h/week. You're also covered for any 'sandwich ' year. After you graduate, it's harder, not a given but possible, and certainly MUCH easier than in the US.
    Britain is eager to have highly qualified immigrants (rather than low skilled ones :p) so if you've shown what you're capable of and your understanding+respect for British values your odds are okay. British citizens will have priority but if you bring something to the table your odds will be good.
    · Reply · Share
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist 24269 replies860 discussionsHonorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    Three members, and two in particular, completely hijacked this thread to have their own debate. This was rude in the extreme and did nothing for the OP. I have deleted many posts. I know a lot of time and effort went into them, but that is what happens when you ignore both our rules for posting and common sense manners. One of the three of you should have had the sense early on to realize you had hijacked the thread and suggest that you start your own thread to hash this out.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity