right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Fall dorm move-in vs. Spring move-out

crepescrepes 561 replies32 postsRegistered User Member
Our daughter's semester will be over at the end of this week and we are driving to her campus this weekend to get her moved out. She's our first to go away and I know now that we overpacked last Spetember and have already brought home a few things that she didn't need (a microwave, extra comforter) I have to say, though, that we found move-in to be relatively straghtforward and easy.

We've mentioned our upcoming move-out to a few people and the responses seem uniformly negative: not fun, a lot of hard work, stressful, bring lots of garbage bags, just rushing to throw out stuff at the end of the day.

For those of you who have been through this, what has your experience been? Any good survival tips?

Thanks in advance!
69 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Fall dorm move-in vs. Spring move-out

• kiddiekiddie 3322 replies212 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I hate move out - freshman year was horrible. I think my daughter had her last final that morning - almost nothing had been packed yet, and she was emotional saying goodbye to her wonderful new friends. Spent hours packing, loading the car, and trying to squeeze everything in. (I think we drove home with stuff piled on my daughter's lap - bought an SUV after that so we could haul more stuff!)

· Reply · Share
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4106 replies29 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wow, my daughter's roommate's parents are going to need a nice present from us! They are helping four freshman move out next weekend, their daughter, our daughter, and two other out of towners who are rooming with the two girls next year, and they are storing all of their stuff for the summer too. I did suggest strongly to my daughter that she make sure her stuff is all ready to haul when they come and to expect to haul too. She doesn't have much choice in the matter since we can't be there.
    · Reply · Share
  • suzy100suzy100 5694 replies58 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    This is a great thread - thank you to everyone for the tips! My D lives on the 4th floor in a dorm with no elevator or air conditioning. I am not looking forward to this.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22648 replies2223 postsVerified Member Senior Member
    @NorthernMom61 I would definitely send those parents a gift card for a dinner out, a bottle of wine, or something along those lines. They are very gracious to do that. And you are right to be sure your D is packed in advance. Maybe also suggest that she vacuum the room in advance (that is a help, trust me).
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12606 replies231 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm following along too....first real move-out. And we will be on a time crunch.
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3859 replies5 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have been through it with all 3 of my kids. My daughter (oldest) always had SO MUCH STUFF, but most of the time she was organized and ready for move-out. Her freshman year she had to be out a couple hours after her last final so my husband and I went down (2 hours away) the weekend before and took most of her stuff home, and left a car. My middle son was a very light packer and extremely organized. He was always ready when I went to pick him up and it never too more than 2 trips up and down to get everything in the car. We drove 6 hours to pick up #3 (son). When we arrived his dorm was a disgusting mess and he had not packed a thing. We just threw everything in the car. There was a giant pile of stuff in the lobby that people were "donating".
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3077 replies21 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The hardest part about moving out is that kids seem to underestimate the time it takes to clean up and to formally check out. I didn't help my D1 move home any semester except when she graduated. D2 was in town and was almost harder since she thought she could just drop by with some stuff over exams. So she never really packed anything and ended up with lots of little bags and boxes and waited til the bitter end to leave for good and then underestimated how much was left and clean up time for the campus apartment- and had to work around other girls leaving. Thankfully they were all good kids, and there were usually extra guys around to haul stuff down from 3rd story walkup.
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmeritmusicmerit 1001 replies215 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^^ I may have opted for the fees in that situation. Depends how much they were.
    · Reply · Share
  • beth's mombeth's mom 3256 replies110 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Move-in was really easy because D's university had volunteers who helped. You pulled up your car and then didn't have to lift a finger until everything was already in the dorm room. Some cleaning was required (the dorm room was clean but not "mom clean"), but not much. For move-out, you have to do it all on your own, and there is 9 months of accumulated stuff and mess to deal with and clean up. How much that amounts to, of course, varies by student. And the kids don't have a lot of time to spend packing and cleaning because finals are right before move-out.

All of that said, I helped my daughter move in, but she has always moved herself out, so while move-out was much more difficult and time consuming for her, it was easier for me. When she lived in the dorms, she rented a storage unit for summer for things she wouldn't need until she returned to school. That helped with things fitting in the car, but involved an extra step on each end of the process. Once she moved off-campus, she stayed in the same off-campus apartment for two years, so no move-out/storage was required after the first year. There's a lot to be said for choosing your off-campus apartment wisely and staying there for the duration.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • Bekp2018Bekp2018 99 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Not to unduly anger anyone here, but this is just one of the realities you live with when your kid is at a LAC w/ the majority of it paid by scholarship and other students are able to pay full fare (and apparently rather easily, at that). My son was blunt: "I don't want to pay through the nose for rich kids' garbage."
    · Reply · Share
  • 3girls3cats3girls3cats 1993 replies6 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Mine is going to manage the move out on her own because we live on the opposite coast from her school. She is staying on campus after her finals are done so she will have time to pack up. She needs to coordinate earlier with the school's storage facilities to confirm that everything will fit where it needs to.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity