right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Schools with "harsh" fraternity and/or sorority systems or those with disagreeable practices

ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77080 replies671 postsRegistered User Senior Member
See replies #284, #285, and #286 of http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19610146/#Comment_19610146 for context of this question.
119 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Schools with "harsh" fraternity and/or sorority systems or those with disagreeable practices

• deega123deega123 643 replies46 postsRegistered User Member
    Sorority recruitment (rush) at large SEC schools is not for the faint of heart. If you go into it unprepared you are in for a shock. And even for the girls that are prepared it is still a physically and mentally grueling experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • dadof1dadof1 680 replies16 postsRegistered User Member
    edited April 2016
    I suggest posters provide more detail surrounding their opinion rather than only a conclusion statement. You will convince more people of your stance.

For example, why @deega123 do you hold this opinion of SEC sorority recruitment? Why are students "in for a shock" and recruitment "a physically and mentally grueling experience"?
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
    @dadof1 My entire family is Greek. I have defended Greeks many times on this site and have also acknowledged the pitfalls of the system. I live in the South and know dozens of girls who have been through SEC recruitment. So, those are my "credentials" for being able to have an opinion in this thread.

Do you have anything to add to the thread or are you just critiquing posts?
    · Reply · Share
    @deega123. I fully expect this thread to devolve into another CC food fight over Greek life. My comment was to try and avoid this by asking posters to provide reasons as well as conclusions. It's difficult to have a conversation when others don't know the underlying premise of one's stance.
    · Reply · Share
  • CAMidwestMomCAMidwestMom 872 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    My D went to a small state school and had a great experience. S is going to a large SEC school. How does the fraternity rush compare to what you all are saying about sorority rush? I am a bit concerned on reading all this. I signed him up for a three day formal rush process. I had to send a picture and his transcript, but I know nothing of recommendations, etc. He has a friend in one of the fraternities and is already leaning towards that house. I have seen good and bad in Greek life and have an open mind, but some of these posts really concern me.
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well dadof1 hopefully I'm providing you with reasons/rationale! Lol
    · Reply · Share
  • 1or2Musicians1or2Musicians 1370 replies0 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Side note: UT-Austin isn't in the SEC.

As a total non-Greek person, I do think that delayed rush sounds like a good idea.
    · Reply · Share
    I have no stance on any particular college @pizzagirl.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13183 replies83 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Even if a Greek house's members are the friendliest, most open-minded and open-hearted people on campus, doesn't membership have to be exclusionary?

At most schools, Greek houses are residential, and at least for the first year or so, new members are required to live in the chapter's house. If a chapter knows that there will be 20 free beds next year because 20 members are graduating or moving out of the house for other reasons, then it can only recruit 20 new members, right? If 23 people apply to join, 3 must be excluded.
    · Reply · Share
  • STEM2017STEM2017 4029 replies94 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think deferred/delayed rush until sophomore year is something that should be mandated at all schools, for reasons stated above (#7). Can anyone explain why this would be a bad idea?
    · Reply · Share
  • EllieMomEllieMom 1872 replies11 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Again, this silliness is exactly why my kid has zero interest in Greek life. It is all about exclusion.

That was exactly how my daughter felt before she went to school. She's the type of kid who proudly described herself and her friends as "the nerdiest group of people at a school known for being nerdy." When she announced that she was going to go through rush, I was surprised.

Interestingly, I found a statistic that suggests that she is not the only one who changed her mind about the greek system once she went to school. While almost a quarter of students are involved in "greek life" at her school, less than 5% of incoming freshmen expressed interest in pledging a sorority or fraternity.

And greek life need not be all about exclusion. That varies a great deal from campus to campus. At many schools there are more places open than potential new members to fill them. At other schools (Tufts, is one) there are "guaranteed bid systems" which means that if you register for recruitment, you are guaranteed a bid (but not necessarily to your top-ranked chapter).
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • gettingschooledgettingschooled 1917 replies34 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Marian Aside from Indiana, I have never heard of sororities setting quota based on beds. I thought (until this thread) that it was universally number of rushees divided by number of houses. Girls may not get the exact house they want but they can get in a house.
    · Reply · Share
    I don't think second semester recruitment is a bad idea but in many schools deferred recruitment tends to enhance the stereotypes of the particular fraternities and sororities. Students learn that XYZ is the nerdy sorority or ABC is the party one and the reputations are self fulfilling.

The other issue is the amount of work that it takes to pull off recruitment. At SEC schools, sorority members come to school early and spend two weeks or more preparing. Once school starts, there just aren't enough available blocks of free time to get the entire group together to prepare.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13183 replies83 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Marian Aside from Indiana, I have never heard of sororities setting quota based on beds.

But how could they not? What are they going to do, have students sleeping on the floor?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity