Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

which school is better for pre-med: UCLA or UCSD?

funnymanfunnyman Registered User Posts: 961 Member
Respond away!
Post edited by funnyman on

Replies to: which school is better for pre-med: UCLA or UCSD?

• tuketuke Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    probably ucsd, but this is just the word on the street. im not sure, and i have no stats to backup my statement. :rolleyes:
  • mariopuzomariopuzo Registered User Posts: 489 Member
    it all depends on what you want. if you want an extremely in depth science education if you don't get into med school (because only 30% of applicants do), then SD is probably your best choice. San Diego is among the best in the world for biological sciences as well as chemistry.

However, if you're looking to be a little more well rounded going into med school or otherwise, i would suggest LA due to the fact that it has more diverse educational opportunities. Now, that sounds cheesy, but its true.

As for the med school/gpa concerns, do not think that LA and SD have a great difference in competitiveness. Both schools are comparable, if not equal, in the rigor of their curriculums and students.
  • CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,471 Senior Member
    is ucsd or ucla any better than berkeley for pre-med? i know berkeley is uber-tough to get a good gpa, i assume ucla and ucsd are the same
  • mariopuzomariopuzo Registered User Posts: 489 Member
    berkeley would be the hardest of the three to get a good gpa, especially in pre-med courses.

la and sd are around the same, youre right.
This discussion has been closed.