Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Art School admission 2017

Replies to: Art School admission 2017

• BrooklynRyeBrooklynRye Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    @Jazzbutcher - congratulations! Feel free to reach out if you need anything.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,821 Senior Member
    Jazzbutcher--Guess I got on here a tad too late to say "Go to Ringling" for animation. Not sure why I'm here to say go to the top-rated school against Cal Arts. Everyone has their reasons. I don't usually actively push Ringling because not that many get in. It's like saying "Harvard is nice--go there."

Ringling is THE spot for animation. I know many kids from Ringling--they aren't "introverted". They are focused. There is a difference. It isn't easy.
    If you don't want to work and work VERY hard. Skip it. Go elsewhere. Save yourself. If you don't want to live under your computer desk in a dark lab your senior year for your project...forget it. It's a small group.
    Or, if you feel up to the challenge...go for it. It'll be the most rewarding thing you've ever done.

Academics...several years ago Ringling changed from Ringling School of Arts to Ringling College of Arts. The purpose was to make all their classes transferable within the college system so if someone withdrew from the school their credits would transfer to another college. Because of that they needed a whole slew of academic classes that weren't needed previously as a strict art school like science, math etc. Those classes meet many requirements but won't be on the par of any engineering degree. You don't go to Ringling to be an engineer. Maybe an imagineer? :)

The facilities and equipment are the finest at Ringling for CA. Can't say more. (D would say some padding underneath the desk would be nice but "what the hey?".)

Yes, Ringling is very 3D focused. Because that is the present industry. You'll learn it all.

• JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    What's great about RISD is the deep field of top-rated majors. Not every high school senior sticks with their plan to do a particular field of study once they start college.
  • pinkmomagainpinkmomagain Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Well, it seems the decision has been made. It looks like MICA for my daughter. Anyone else with a MICA freshman for Fall 2017?????
  • mommadramamommadrama Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    edited April 27
    @moonpie is your daughter doing the bfa in animation or bfa in computer art, computer animation and visual effects
  • moonpiemoonpie Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    @mommadrama she's doing BFA in animation, honors program. She has AP credits which will get her out of several classes, and allow her to branch out into other things (or even graduate early) but wont know for sure until she gets scores on last 2 AP tests, which she takes next week.
  • Marquez1Marquez1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    PNCA does NOT have a combined program with Reed. It exists only on paper and can not be practiced in reality. Reed does not support it and it is almost impossible to align the schedules. PNCA has long studio classes that don't fit the model. Finally, PNCA has really gone downhill - especially in Design and Illustration. The Design program used to be strong under the old chair and faculty. That is yesterdays' news.
  • stones3stones3 Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    nycmomof3- while D excelled at cooper summer and outreach we had a similar experience further compounded by isuues with a faculty that incessantly recruited her to ED. Wouldn't recommend it to any art student. Conversely, she attends VCUARTS and has excelled. She knew right away that VCUARTS was the right fit. While far away you might want to consider Cal Arts , as its really the most successful in terms of animation. good luck
  • Carlisle55Carlisle55 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, My daughter just started at SAIC a week ago and already loves it. What has been your daughters experience so far? I am so impressed with everything there and how they include parents.
  • Carlisle55Carlisle55 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    My d at SAIC and loves the academics as much as art. English is moistly writing and art history is already intense but she is pretty intellectual and a good writer so it won't be too hard, but a nice balance to Art classes. Sorry for run on sentence ha ha.
  • KCHWriterKCHWriter Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Just a note from a parent with a D'18 kid applying soon to art schools, please keep posting here with your kids' experiences as freshmen! This is SUCH good information for those of us going through the app process now! Very grateful to be able to read about your experiences, especially as they are now current students! Particularly interested to hear about your D at SAIC, @Carlisle55-- my D did a pre-college term there this summer (4 weeks, so 2 courses) and *really* enjoyed it. Loves Chicago, loved the dorm (she was in Jones). In theory she loves the open curriculum, but worries about keeping focused without the "direction" of an actual major/concentration, so anything you can speak to on that end would be much appreciated! Also, she's coming from an intensely academic high school, so I'm glad to hear that your d is finding the academic classes intellectually stimulating, as that's another concern about SAIC (as opposed to, say, somewhere like RISD where she could take liberal arts credits at Brown).
  • BrooklynRyeBrooklynRye Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    @KCHWriter - D2 is a sophomore at RISD. Through the Foundation Year. Committed to ID. LIberal Arts classes comprise 1/3 of the curriculum at RISD. Most of the LA classes are engaging and very challenging. D2's roommate is taking classes at Brown this semester. Be aware that RISD - Brown schedules don't exactly mesh. Often takes away from 2nd half of RISD's Winter Break. Feel free to reach out on this thread or PM.

Also, @JBStillFlying above can provide some great insights into SAIC (as well as re Pratt and SCAD).
  • lsichitiulsichitiu Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @KCHWriter , my daughter started her freshmen year SAIC. She loves every minute of it. She went to SAIC for a pre-college class as well, and fell in love with the school and the city. Every day she tells me how great all her instructors are. However, the experience is not the same for everybody. Your D needs to be sure SAIC is the right choice for her.
    The first year is the Foundation year and four of the classes are the same for everybody and mandatory. The fifth course is her choice. So I think that the first year there is plenty of "direction" and hopefully this year would help your daughter decide for herself what direction she wants to go in.
    Let me know if you have questions.
  • OuetamayOuetamay Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    But your child was not accepted at Cooper. You were high on Cooper before that. You are being dishonest.
  • OuetamayOuetamay Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    The above was in response to Stones3. She bashes Cooper all the time.