Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Reality hitting my rising senior in the face now!

Replies to: Reality hitting my rising senior in the face now!

• compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,352 Senior Member
    The two year programs are very competitive these days and it helps a lot to get a CNA first and have a little work experience.
  • shoot4moonshoot4moon Registered User Posts: 1,157 Senior Member
    Just FYI, some kids have much better grades in college than high school. My daughter went from a 3.2 to a 3.8,2ith no,coaching or coercing from me. The work was simply more interesting!!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,939 Senior Member
    Pitt Johnson has nursing. She'll need AP biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry honors, honors English, and psychology as courses taken in high school to maximize her odds of success during the first year.
    Does/did her junior/senior schedule include that? Can she modify her senior schedule if need be?
    Seconding Gannon and Chatham.
    If she truly just found her motivation, she should prep for the August sat through Khan academy.
    A 24 is solid, but a 25, 26,/or even 27 would 'unlock' more merit.
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    Since we are also discussing nursing here .....

Many, many direct-admit nursing programs do not require a 5.0 and 36 on the ACT. My daughter is applying to seven of them, after narrowing it all down and staying in-state. Sure, some are harder to get into than others but she doesn't have a 5.0 and 36 (no slouch, but not perfect either) and she is way up the merit chart on most of them.

Look for direct-admit programs ... the requirements will be on the BSN page. I was surprised at some of the thresholds (lower than what you've mentioned). That's where nursing education is going. I had one dean tell me she wishes schools would do away with the competitive programs.

Good luck.

Just checked Pitt Johnstown nursing and they want the curriculum I suggested above, 3.0, and 23act.
    Her GPA and current act would likely qualify her for a $3,500 scholarship off the ~$8,000 tuition and $500 off the $2,700-2,800 housing. If she raises her act to 27 she's likely to get $5,000 off the tuition and still the $500 off housing. With the highest scholarships it'd make the full cost of attendance under $7,000 which seems a pretty good deal.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,148 Senior Member
    http://www.upj.pitt.edu/en/admissions/costs/

I think the costs are per term (semester). So $16,000 tuition
    edited July 15
    Oh darn you're right!!!!! How did I miss that?!?!
    @toomanyteens : I'm sorry for the mistake! :(
    And the scholarship amounts are per year, of course.
    It seemed such a good deal for a PA public...
    The upside is that she needs to push herself and have a much higher act in order to win the 5k scholarship that'd make the school 15k. :/
    Is that your budget, or is it closer to 20k.. Or less?
  • twocollegekidstwocollegekids Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    MYOS: Is the scholarship you mentioned ONLY for the Johnstown Campus? My DS had a 32 ACT and didn't receive any scholarship $$ at the main campus.
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 3,608 Senior Member
    Rochester Institute of Technology has a PA program:
    https://www.rit.edu/healthsciences/graduate-programs/physician-assistant

If she can pull up that ACT, she should be eligible for merit aid. We got need-based aid too. It's a FAFSA-only school.
    RIT doesn't meet need but is interested in having more girls apply so, depending on course rigor and raising that act, it's a great idea.
    @twocollegekids: yes Johnstown only.
    http://www.upb.pitt.edu/tuition/
    http://www.upb.pitt.edu/scholarships/

It is more difficult to get merit at Pitt main campus. Last year merit scholarship consideration started there at 33 ACT composite and A average and top 5% class rank.

The regional campuses offer some merit for certain majors, and Pitt Bradford I think has a scholarship for on campus living.

Tuition and fees run around $13,500 plus room and board is probably another $9,000 or so a year.
    But compared to main campus it can be more affordable, especially with the extra scholarship.
    ^nursing tuition is $4,000 more a year
  • Wookie3Wookie3 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Your daughter sounds pretty motivated to me. I wouldn't discourage her. I just went through this with my son --who just graduated h.s. and also wanted P.A. He had a 3.5 unweighted GPA .He had a 25 ACT, enrolled in an SAT prep class and took SAT twice (more to his liking) topping out at 1330. He came from a specialized health care academy technical hs and like your daughter had health-related ec's. Anyway he got in every direct admit PA program he applied to except for one and most offered around $18-&20,000 in merit! I think the key is for your daughter to pull up her standardized test score and to apply to these schools early for the best shot at acceptance and merit.
    Seton Hill website says deadline for EA application is September 15, application is free.

https://www.setonhill.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/physician-assistant-bs-ms/admission-requirements/

Also Misericordia used to have good merit. Check their net price calculator.
  • Wookie3Wookie3 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    The schools that offered the best deal were Stockton, Marywood, Kings and DeSales. He liked DeSales (near Allentown, PA) best. Maybe take her to visit? --can add motivation and sometimes also make clear what she really wants.