Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A 19-year-old Weston man who was a freshman at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania died Monday

TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,614 Senior Member
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/09/12/noble-and-greenough-grad-dies-lafayette-college/C6jfiPvLpE4Zjb0k2EwJSP/story.html#comments
"A 19-year-old Weston man who was a freshman at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania died Monday, authorities said."
"Investigators believe the chain of events leading up to the emergency call might have started sometime during the late afternoon Saturday. Easton police said investigators are trying to determine what caused the medical emergency."

Another hazing death?

Replies to: A 19-year-old Weston man who was a freshman at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania died Monday

• hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 Registered User Posts: 2,449 Senior Member
    Hazing? Why would you suggest that?

• simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,694 Senior Member
    Way too soon to suggest hazing.
  • jonrijonri Registered User Posts: 6,974 Senior Member
    He died of a head injury which resulted from a fall. He was a lacrosse recruit. Too early for toxicology results.
  • leftrightleftleftrightleft Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    How very sad. Please don't speculate on cause of death.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,526 Senior Member
    Tragic.

Not that it will make anything better but it was not hazing -- freshman cannot rush for fraternities/sororities at Lafayette.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    Sports teams often have very tough hazing too.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,425 Senior Member

I suspect that some posters suggesting that the fall was during a sports initiation may not really be speculating, but may have a connection to the Lafayette community. However, they may not want to admit that.

Lafayette is a small and close knit school and that type of information often spreads more quickly though the community than it does to the press.
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 4,689 Senior Member
    Here's another article (the Globe article you have to subscribe to). http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pol-easton-death-teen-autopsy-investigation-20170911-story.html

It did sound like alcohol was involved unfortunately but I seriously doubt that it was hazing. Just stupid college kid bad decisions.

From what I've heard and D has many friends who went to Lafayette, fraternities do not have a huge presence on campus.

My condolences to the family and to the Lafayette community. I know these things hit this small campus hard.
  • TemperantiaTemperantia Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Much2learn, so you are speculating that the others are not speculating? FWIW, my kid is a freshman at Laf and had no more details yesterday to offer than those that have been reported in the press.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Lafayette is a small and close knit school and that type of information often spreads more quickly though the community than it does to the press.

...and sometimes the information that spreads via the grapevine isn't accurate.

I saw online speculation like this about a kid who died in his dorm room early on a Sunday morning at my kid's school. Some people assumed his death was due to drug or alcohol use whereas it turned out he died of natural causes due to a preexisting medical condition.

I may have my suspicions about how events unfolded for McCrae Williams, you may have suspicions about how events unfolded, but so far none of us here know what really happened and until we do I'd like to see people stop the speculations. This kid's family and friends must be hurting terribly right now. Let's not contribute to their pain by spreading gossip.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,425 Senior Member
    @temperanita, so you are speculating, that I am speculating, that the others are not speculating? Inconceivable!
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,036 Senior Member
    Well since everyone is speculating-- the reports I read said Williams was found outside a four storey dorm. So could this have been a window fall?
  • TemperantiaTemperantia Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    M2L, you said "I suspect" which means that my observation about your speculation was not speculation. I prefer not to speculate in matters like this and agree with Sue22. And whatever happened, it's a tragedy.