right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Racist messages found at Air Force Academy Preparatory School

ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76497 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,162 Senior Member
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/09/28/air-force-investigating-racist-graffiti-academy-prep-school.html
Air Force officials are investigating the use of racial slurs written on a dormitory white board at the Air Force Academy Preparatory School.
62 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Racist messages found at Air Force Academy Preparatory School

• doschicosdoschicos 20433 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,642 Senior Member
    What's equally disturbing as these incidents are some of the comments on this article targeted to military personnel.
    · Reply · Share
  • simba9simba9 3244 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,264 Senior Member
    I don't think one incident is a big deal. Likely just a stupid prank. If it happens repeatedly, then it's something to be concerned about.
    · Reply · Share
  • simba9simba9 3244 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,264 Senior Member
    @OHMomof2, I was in the Air Force, and nobody I knew would have done something like that. Every so often I'd hear someone say something along the lines of, "My landlord Jewed me," or Jews would be going to hell because they don't accept Christ as their savior. When I reminded or informed the person that I was Jewish, they'd get very embarrassed and apologize. They were saying things out of ignorance, not out of hatred. How people treated me was more important than what people said, and nobody ever treated me differently once they learned I was Jewish.

The military doesn't exactly attract a lot of deep thinkers, so you're going to hear stupid opinions on pretty much every topic. No race, ethnicity or religion was immune from being the target of a stupid opinion. It doesn't mean the institution as a whole has a major problem. While not perfect, the US military is one of the best integrated organizations in the country.
    · Reply · Share
    Sorry, but I still think it was a stupid prank and that people are over-reacting. Honestly, these days you can't even be sure that the supposed victims didn't do it themselves just to rile everyone up.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 6200 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    My thinking is that you can't afford to minimize things like this - these are not minor issues. Clearly Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria was quick and forceful in his response. He doesn't seem to me to be the type of individual that over-reacts. We need more like him in Washington.

I believe you also have to nip anti-semitism in the bud. One would have to have their head in the sand to not notice the increase in public displays of anti-semitism in the last 2 years. For someone as mainstream and politically connected as Valerie Plame to feel comfortable tweeting out an article on Rosh Hashanah written by an anti-semite and calling it "thoughtful," you know there is a problem. Although I am no fan, I thought Alan Dershowitz's published response to her was right on target. The fallout just cost her a board seat.
    edited September 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger 2667 replies137 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,804 Senior Member
    The military takes this very seriously. The cadets will likely be expelled, assuming they can identify who did it.
    · Reply · Share
    I expect they will be expelled if discovered. In any event, anyone who actually makes it into the military and continuously exhibits racist behavior isn't going to last long, if only because their fellow soldiers, sailors and airman won't put up with it.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity