Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Thanksgiving 2017

Replies to: Thanksgiving 2017

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 32,924 Senior Member
    Yes, when I’ve hosted meals with big groups, they can often provide a special menu that can be printed without prices and limited beverage options, which makes it less awkward. Often there is special pricing for the group and you can tell the restaurant the price point, eg $50/person meal including tax and tip and one glass of beer or wine and a hot or iced tea or coffee.

Often if the party is 10 or larger, the restaurant wants enteres pre-ordered and gives you a smaller selection, eg fish, chicken or beef.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 36,790 Senior Member
    Yes to the above. We did it for company holiday dinners. We prepaid with a credit card based on the number of RSVPs. Also, we included a few bottles of wine and beer; when that was gone, folks were on their own - there was a bar that was happy to take their $$. Any unopened beer and wine was credited back to us.
  • mominvamominva Registered User Posts: 2,913 Senior Member
    Sometimes restaurants offer 'corkage fees' - a set price for glasses, ice buckets, etc. - for wine brought in by guests for special occasions. If your steak house will do this, you can ask your guests to bring a wine contribution.
  • rom828rom828 Registered User Posts: 1,478 Senior Member
    @Momma2018 we cook 10 lbs of potatoes for Thanksgiving. We have help to peel them in the morning but after they are prepared I put keep them warm in a slow cooker. They can sit for hours and be fine.
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 984 Member
    @Midwest67 -thanks for your thoughts. OK; the whole tab/money thing might be uncomfortable with drinks. I want it to be relaxed. For drinks - i think i'll just say wine is on your own; you can pay me back later and we'll cover it all now.

For dinner, the restaurant offers a traditional thanksgiving meal; sides served family style. I'm assuming most will get that; it's still quite pricey but thanksgiving food is the point! It'll all be good.
  • SilpatSilpat Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    I'd planned to make the corn casserole for our early Thanksgiving dinner next weekend, but just learned that two guests have problems with dairy, one is vegetarian and one won't eat onions (I usually add bacon and scallions, plus a dash of Tony Chachere's seasoning to ours.) Guess we'll just have plain sweet corn, and will put out an extra butter dish since I can't use butter in cooking anything. I may make a small corn casserole just for myself on Thanksgiving.

Nearly all of my recipes have to be modified now. My usual side dishes have bacon or butter and/or nuts, each of which is off limits for at least two of the eight people. I think we'll have a salad buffet on the kitchen table, then serve the rest of the meal family style in the dining room with lots of 4 - 6 serving size side dishes. The warming drawer will come in handy this year.
  • snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,831 Senior Member
    I have a mashed potato recipe that can be made in advance and frozen. We have done this every year and they have always reheated beautifully. You could also refrigerate it for a couple of days if you don't want to freeze; let me know if you would like it.
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 367 Member
    @snowball - I would love that recipe. Thanks!
  • SilpatSilpat Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    You're right that not every dish must be modified, but for me it would probably be easier than making both a corn casserole and plain white corn and repeating that with the other sides. We have a small family and usually eat very simply; I haven't made a large "feast" in over 20 years since we lived near relatives who always came to our house.

In this case, the vegetarian is someone I've only met once and she's the easiest to please. As long as there's a salad available, or at least a couple of veggies, she's happy. I'm the one who worries whether everyone has enough choices.
    With all of the guests having at least one medically necessary diet restriction, combined with some just being selective (perhaps that's a better choice than "picky"), it seems that preparing a much greater variety of sides than I usually make is the way to go.

Since I have various medical issues and food restrictions, I try to be sympathetic with others. I don't really cook much any more, except for special events. Being out of practice, especially with cooking for more than just dh and me, adds to my stress. I'm spending this weekend gathering recipes and ideas, writing shopping lists and planning the order of execution so that everything will be ready on time. It seems to require a bit of freaking out initially before I can get down to dealing with it and eventually enjoying the weekend. ; )
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 18,478 Senior Member
    The corn casserole that FallGirl and maybe others posted is SO easy to mix up - like a 5 minute dump and mix job! Worth putting two corn dishes on the table!

And I have to say, it was even better warmed up in the oven the second/third day! I scooped some of the leftover casserole on a stone baking dish and reheated by putting back in the oven for 15 minutes or so - the edge got nice and crispy and the inside was still soft and delicious. It's not good for you in anyway, but it really was soothing delicious - like mashed potatoes!
  • snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,831 Senior Member
    @Momma2018 Here is the make ahead mashed potatoes. Ours are now in the freezer and out of the way!

Holiday Mashed Potato Casserole

4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut in large, uniform chunks
    ½ cup (1 stick) butter
    1 bunch (4 or 5) green onions, thinly sliced
    ½ to 1-cup milk (might need a bit more)
    8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of lightly salted cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain thoroughly; transfer to a large mixer bowl.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While potatoes are cooking, in a medium skillet over medium-low heat melt butter. Add green onion and sauté until tender. Add ½ cup milk, cream cheese, and Parmesan; stir until cheeses are melted. Add the melted cheese mixture to potatoes and beat with electric mixer until fluffy. Season to taste. If mixture seems to stiff, add a little more milk.

Pour into a 9x13-inch casserole dish and bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Mixture should be nicely browned on top and slightly bubbly.

If not serving immediately, wrap airtight in foil and refrigerate or freeze. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-60 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.

Notes:
    If you use a ricer first, and then a hand mixer, instead of the larger mixer, the potatoes are easier to mash and are very smooth. A trick we just learned about after years of trying to mash pounds and pounds of potatoes!

Do not use low fat butter, cream cheese or milk; full fat for this recipe!!

If freezing, I take it out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator Tuesday night or Wednesday morning so it will start to thaw.
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 367 Member
    Thank you @snowball! I am going to give it a try.
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 3,066 Senior Member
    Is there something you can substitute for the cream cheese? DH is not a fan and he makes the mashed potatoes.