Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Members of Congress Introduce Legislation to Simplify FAFSA Form

2»

Replies to: Members of Congress Introduce Legislation to Simplify FAFSA Form

• kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,679 Super Moderator
    Or the proposed HEA bill. For an administration that says it will ease regulations, there sure are a lot of new regulations for schools in the legislation. I am not holding my breath that good things are really on the horizon in the higher education world,
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 15,743 Senior Member
    I don't think most parents know enough about FAFSA to game the system when their kids are in high school. With using the taxes two years in advance of entering college, that's a lot of planning starting when the student is a sophomore in high school!

I also think that many students have quite a variance in financial situations over those 4-5 years. We certainly did, so if you are going to allow student who had a drop in family income to refile in later years to qualify for Pell (or more in Pell), then you have to require those who had an increase in income to refile. Many families don't qualify when there is just one kid in college but do qualify when there are two or more. Should the older student never get Pell because he didn't get it the first year? Should everyone in the family continue to get Pell when the oldest graduates?

2»