right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Parents going back to college

Replies to: Parents going back to college

• surfcitysurfcity 2478 replies59 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,537 Senior Member
    Nope...Ive learned far more during self study, youtube, and google than any class. (Labs excluded)

Is that what you would advise a HS student? that Google and YouTube can replace formal education?

Apples and oranges to me. Kudos to everyone back in the classroom! I would love to join you - when I see the course catalog for D's school I am very jealous! My job is very satisfying now and fulfills some of the need I think education would. But I would go back in a heartbeat!
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18317 replies322 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,639 Senior Member
    This thread is making me seriously consider trying Spanish. I tried it about two years ago and was too darn busy to keep up.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33966 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,353 Senior Member
    I downloaded the iPhone app for Spanish on Duolingo (free) and am renewing my acquaintance with the language which I took in HS & college. It's easy and you can do it at your own pace. It has helped me, tho I'm still NOT fluent.
    · Reply · Share
  • verucaveruca 1304 replies91 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,395 Senior Member
    I wound up dropping one class but I made As in the other two. I have really enjoyed being back at school -It was a good distraction from my empty nest.
    I would like to mention this to anyone young or old going back to Vo-tech- check and see what the average GPA is for what ever program you are interested in. I assumed vo-tech would not be competitive, but it is. At least for the allied health programs and I think some of the other programs as well. I learned that the program I am interested in has 150 applicants for 20 slots and I understand most of the Allied health (radiology tech, sonography, OT assistant etc...) are similar.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 7990 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,017 Senior Member
    @HImom - I am a Duolingo dropout (Spanish), but S has a friend who has become fluent in Portuguese that way.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33966 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,353 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    There’s Rosetta Stone and other programs as well. Our neighbor taught himself so well on some old programs that he could conduct business in Mandarin! He has my greatest respect as that’s not something my kids could do even by taking classes for several years. Their pronunciation and tones were good but they just found it very difficult.
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3832 replies285 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,117 Senior Member
    I started school the same day in August that my daughter started her senior year classes in college. She loves that I went back to school.

Now I have to figure out how to go to her graduation in May!
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2486 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,497 Senior Member
    Somehow I missed this thread. I am playing with the idea of going back to school to get a masters, in the meantime taking courses to get ready, like how to do research type courses.

I am attending a large, local public U that has a diverse student body. There are kids just out of high school and old folks like me. Lots of vets and retired military looking for a career change at this school. A good number of students who are putting themselves through school and so are not on the four year plan. The most intimating part has been the tech. The young students have no problem with it while I have to call my kids for help. But I am better organized and not tempted by parties. I also struggle with how much to reveal about myself and my background. I do feel very different from the other students: older, better educated, better off. I have been THE oldest person in my classes despite the presence of retired military. I am older than the professors. The age part doesn't bother me per se, but the stuff that comes with it, like having seen more of the world, I feel like I have to be discrete about.(An example: chit chatting with fellow students on a group project we were talking about what we were doing over a long weekend. They were going to various parties. I was flying to Hawaii. I didn't mention that.) I am trying to fit in!

I have done well so far and am having a blast.Why didn't I start taking classes years ago? I am worried about this coming semester and possible parent health problems causing me to have to drop a class.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38430 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,895 Senior Member
    Lizardly - that is about how I felt when I was going through my program. The tech did not scare me, but some other issues did. For example, I don't type as fast as the youngsters, but there was no way in hell I would handwrite my exams. I managed to type 6-7 pages in the time the fastest of them cobbled up 13! But the profs apparently liked brevity and quality over quantity, so my exams were consistently in the top pile. :) Go for the degree - you will not regret it.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3832 replies285 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,117 Senior Member
    @Lizardly, I am glad you're here! I am studying for an MSW at the grand old age of 69. My daughter is graduating from college far, far away on May 11; my semester ends a week later. Yikes! But it's good. I Most (not all) of my fellow students are around a year older than my daughter, but that's ok. My professors are a lot younger than me, but that's ok too. Everyone has been very, very welcoming.

My fieldwork is mentoring high school students at a NYC public school for students who are over-age and under-credited and I find that it comes pretty for me, since it's not so long ago that my daughter was in high school.

The technology was pretty overwhelming for me, but I am pretty sure my second semester will be easier than my first because I have it down (more or less!) now. I did really well and my daughter is thrilled for me. One semester down, three to go!
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2486 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,497 Senior Member
    BB, in class exams with typing--- I am not ready for that! So far I have had papers and handwritten in class exams. I did ask about typing since my handwriting is terrible and the prof said it was allowed, but since no one else was doing it I didn't either.

I allow extra time for technology issues. How can the kids read those small screens? I have to bring my laptop.

Everyone has been welcoming here as well. That makes me feel good.
    · Reply · Share
  • GTalumGTalum 3042 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,067 Senior Member
    Why didn't I start taking classes years ago?

Exactly what I am wondering! But, I guess I just didn't previously get the "leading." 4 semesters to go to get my doctorate, but I have to stop procrastinating and start my research project! Hopefully I will be done May of 2019.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6637 replies140 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    We're allowed to take one course/semester tuition waived as part of our employee benefits, so I have been taking French courses for the past 5 semesters. I taught myself enough French using online materials and books from Amazon that I was permitted into the Junior level courses. I just finished my 5th course, a senior level French literature course which was a LOT of work. I already have a Master's in math and a PhD in Physics, so this is just a hobby and will probably not lead to another degree, since I hardly need any more.
    · Reply · Share
    @sylvan8798--sounds like a vacation in France or Tahiti may be in your future & a LOT of fun!
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10606 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,682 Senior Member
    Inspiring to read, especially old mom since I am an old mom too :) I have found out I can take classes for free and for credit at a state U that is a bit of a hike but worth it. Once my caretaking duties are over I plan on following your example!
    · Reply · Share
  • GTalumGTalum 3042 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,067 Senior Member
    So far, going to school is the best thing I have done and I love it. High points is working on my clinical project which is going very well and the response from patients, staff, and administrators has been great. Low point is my Biostatistics class. I took my first exam in 30 years!

@sylvan8798 What online education did you do? I've done a bit with Spanish and thinking about picking it up again.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6637 replies140 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    ^The most helpful thing was a series of videos from Annenberg Learner. They have a Spanish series ("Destinos") as well. There is a textbook and workbooks that I got from Amazon to go with the French series, but I'm not sure what there is for the Spanish.

http://learner.org/resources/series75.html
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
    I have no regrets going back to school for my MSW, but I must say that this second semester seems to be much more manageable than last, when everything I had to learn about being a 21st century graduate student was overwhelming. In the end, I did well last semester but the anxiety was very difficult.

At fieldwork in a NYC high school for struggling students, a guidance counselor told me last week that I was the only grownup in the group of social workers and students working there, My off-site social work supervisor agreed. I can see that having raised a kid to age 22 has given me a lot of perspective that many of the 20-something students (and some of the MSW-level social workers!) just don't have.
    · Reply · Share