Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

Replies to: Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 25,698 Forum Champion
    If I remember correctly, the Congratulations message stated your major. In the link, there is no major mentioned so I would say this posting may not be real but as @eyemgh stated, only time will tell.
  • bogeyorparbogeyorpar Registered User Posts: 782 Member
    Yes, I believe in waves, but one person doesn't make a wave. If ten people report it, then it's a wave.
  • NWhummingbirdNWhummingbird Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Scroll down. He/she posted the full picture later, with the major (Comp Sci) and the fact that they were accepted from over 65,000 applications. It looks to me like an early release error, since they shut it down right after.
  • meb1meb1meb1meb1 Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    Congrats! That's a great program!
  • momametmomamet Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    How in the world do they choose from 65,000 applications without using a holistic approach? Especially if they are being lenient with students that didn't include their 7th/8th grade math classes. Seems like an impossible selection process.
  • CopperlineX2CopperlineX2 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    I prefer the Cal State’s “numbers game” over the holistic UC process any day!
  • novoslo2000novoslo2000 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    The site now says maintenance scheduled for Sunday maintenance rather than the usual Wednesday maintenance. Maybe a wave of acceptances for Monday?
  • CopperlineX2CopperlineX2 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    It would be nice but I'm still expecting 2/15 for OOS and 2/16 in-state
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,346 Senior Member
    @momamet, read the pinned thread at the top about the MCA. It will clarify how they rank students. Once you understand it, you'll realize "holistic" admission is far more a black box.
    I think I understand the MCA pretty well, but it just seems like many many applicants would score really high, and at that point, how do they pick? High SAT’s, High GPA, 3-4 years of FL, lots of Math and science, work in the major of study, and ec’s - so many students have all of that....what am I missing? I guess I don’t fully understand it.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    Each major picks from top down from the applicants to their major. I don't see.what is hard to understand?
    One more question - and please excuse my ignorance if this was addressed somewhere else in the pages and pages and pages of dialogue about MCA. Is there an MCA total max and if so, what is that number?
  • bioincsbioincs Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    Hey everyone! I know this might be a bit early as acceptances are just starting to roll out. But I'm currently a second year Computer Science major at Cal Poly and if anyone has any questions about the school/my experience/anything at all feel free to send me a message or ask me a question in the thread. Super excited for all of you and best of luck!