Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I hate dining hall food and am always hungry

hgigilgylglhgigilgylgl Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm a freshman in college and I like everything about college so far except the food. I'm an extremely picky eater (the only foods I like are pasta with red sauce, macaroni and cheese,grilled cheese, pancakes, broccoli, and cheesecake). The dining hall almost never has food I like, and when they do it's made abominably. I would honestly rather starve than try new food, and I'm hungry and light headed a lot of the time. I am ABSOLUTELY UNWILLING to try new food, so I don't know what to do. I just want to eat food I like. It's not even like I can cook for myself, since I can't cook (my mom made all my food at home).

Replies to: I hate dining hall food and am always hungry

• kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 866 Member
    edited February 2018
    Do you have access to a microwave? A refrigerator? My daughter is also picky (not as picky as you) and also hates dining center food. She buys microwavable food for times she is really hungry. Personally, I'd much rather just try new food than go hungry. Sounds like you might benefit from some counseling to address this issue. Total unwillingness to try new food items is an unhealthy attitude.
  • verucaveruca Registered User Posts: 1,395 Senior Member
    I second the counseling -if you are light headed and can't manage to eat a banana or something then you are in trouble. This is a little past picky and getting into it being a thing.
    My D didn't like her dining hall food at all but they did have to quick pick up things like cereal , fruit etc... and she could manage those.
    They don't have anything on the salad bar you can eat?
  • yourmommayourmomma Registered User Posts: 1,223 Senior Member
    Pasta with red sauce = spagetti Os. Also can get microwaveable mac and cheese. Stock up.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,308 Senior Member
    Counseling is needed definitely. My sons outgrew that type of pickiness around age 6.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,598 Senior Member
    I agree - if you are literally starving and cannot eat, you should be talking to a medical professional. But, in addition to talking to a counselor, I would also suggest you see a regular physician. It might not all be in your head. Some of the causes of childhood food aversions are physical, such as a strong gag reflex or unusual sensitivity in the nerves of the mouth. You may need a referral to an occupational therapist who specializes in eating and food issues. You may need both the counselor to help you unwrap the childish feelings that starving is better than eating strange food and the food therapist to help you with the physical aspects of your food aversions.

Learning to cook is pretty easy for someone who is smart enough to go to college. Google a favorite food, find a recipe, and start practicing. Or ask your mom for her recipes.
  • CompEngGirl123CompEngGirl123 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    I believe macaroni and cheese is pretty easy to make as long as you have a microwave, and grilled cheese I imagine isn't too hard neither. You can try cooking those things yourself if there's no way you will eat at the dining hall. If you can't cook, you can see if you can find the only foods you will eat at a restaurant (you're not limited to the dining hall). I think Noodles and Company has macaroni and cheese. Keep in mind though that eating at restaurants will cost more money so it may be worth it to try other foods at the dining hall, but if you absolutely refuse to eating off campus is your next best option.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,718 Senior Member
    You have three choices:

1. Open yourself to more food
    2. Learn to cook
    3. Move back home and have mom take care of you for the rest of your life.

My suggestion: start with #2... it will serve you well down the road. And slooowly work on #1. Your mom will probably object to #3.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,148 Senior Member
    Are you underweight?
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    College students ever since they arrived have hated college food. Perhaps you eat pastes. How about cold pasta salad or pasta with a cream sauce or requesting plain pasta. Try noodles and rice as alternatives to pasta. Try waffles instead of pancakes. When there are choices, it is up to you to make adjustments. Fresh fruit can fill in when very hungry.

There are social aspects to food choices. If your food tray is composed of the same narrow range of stuff, you will be teased. Likely, your friends will not want to hear about your narrow interests. You could be making yourself a social isolate...what if everyone is going for pizza and nothing on the menu fits your narrow choices. How would you share an apartment and expect your narrow range of foods from roommates who expect to share a food budget. When I was a child, three girl scout bites was required with new or disliked bites. You will not die of a tiny bite and tasting does help. Limiting food choices limits friends and you become socially ostracized.

It really helps to practice eating yucky stuff nicely. I was visiting my aunt, uncle, and cousins and was served creamed corn, yams, and ham...not only gross but I could near my mother laughing in my mind...I just added the food to the plate and ate slowly. I now eat ham, try yams and avoid creamed corn forever! Life is so much easier as an adult, including college age, when you deliberately try new foods and broaden your food choices.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,002 Senior Member
    Even in the dark ages we knew how to make grilled cheese using an iron in the dorm room. Now it is so much easier as there are appliances that do nothing but make grilled sandwiches. Loaf of bread, sliced cheese, and a sandwich machine will keep you going for days. Grilled cheese, morning noon and night.

You could probably make pancakes in the machine too.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,452 Senior Member
    Creamed corn - the real stuff, not from a can - was something I was served at a relative's house. I was suspicious, but ate a bite to be polite. It was divine. I make it myself now. :)
This discussion has been closed.