Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why was I rejected ED?

Replies to: Why was I rejected ED?

• geester314geester314 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Congrats! That's great and should hopefully provide some temporary relief as you go thru this process!
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,714 Senior Member
    edited March 10
    Cornell rejection was a fluke imo. Not many kids get a likely letter from Columbia, a school that emphasizes academics a little bit more. At least one school views your accomplishments the same way I view yours. I bet you will get into UChicago if you applied there. Probably MIT.

The Columbia likely letter confirms that IMO your application is top 90% of admitted students at top schools. I believe the RD results will reflect that. Let us know as the results come in. The thing that stands out for me is you

I also felt for some reason Cornell was not a good fit for you. Your academic accomplishments plus being a Senior Class President as well as leading several clubs stands out for me.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 685 Forum Champion
    Cornell's loss is Columbia's gain. I would rather go to school in NYC than in Ithaca any day.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,595 Senior Member
    Page 1 of responses:
    the overall sense of how you would/wouldn't fit into the community.
    Page 7 of responses:
    for some reason Cornell was not a good fit for you

THIS. Nobody ever wants to believe that the AdComms have any idea of what they are doing. The AdComms at super-selective schools know who they have accepted before, who is in the mix this round, and what they are trying to build.

If Columbia loves the OP enough to send a likely letter (and they don't send many), it means that Columbia sees @armian not just as a qualified candidate, but as a good fit.

@armian, I'm glad that you came looking for support, and I hope that the many kind and helpful posts here helped you through what was obviously a painful jolt. If Cornell was the first time you have 'failed' or been rejected, I hope you remember a little of that feeling going forward. It will help you be a kinder person when others around you stumble. It should also be a reminder that you are more than the sum of your resume!

• oscar63oscar63 Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    The process is extremely competitive and there are “no guarantees” anywhere even for amazing applicants like yourself. You will shine wherever you go!
  • bestmom888bestmom888 Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    SO SO glad you got into Columbia OP! Coming from a disadvantaged background and growing up with two deaf parents, you've come a long long way and will go even further, with or without Cornell, Columbia, etc. You must always remember that your accomplishments are never "for nothing" even if they are not immediately recognized by the people you want to impress. Congratulations!
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 714 Member
    I always thought of likely letters in the context of athletics, but a search turned up this, which confirms that non-athletes get them too:

https://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/what-are-likely-letters-like/
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    @armian Congrats!!! So happy for you!
    @whatisyourquest Likely letter is gold in regular round elite college admissions these days, only the top 10% of RD admits get them.
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 2,058 Senior Member
    Congrats @armian!! So thrilled for you! Keep us posted as the other decisions come in.
  • SuzuyaSuzuya Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @armian HAHA CONGRATS MAN!!!! I was the first commenter I believe and I just checked back today to see that you got a likely letter from Columbia! I was rejected there ED, but I am so excited for you! See!? I told you good things were yet to come and you would just need to hold on a lil bit longer haha. This is amazing!

I haven't heard back from any schools yet so I guess i"m waiting the 17 more days it'll take for Ivy Day haha.

Let me know all of the schools you get accepted to haha, I'm really interested in hearing from you again.

I think this was a great lesson for all of us involved in this thread! Don't doubt yourself!
  • NomorelurkerNomorelurker Registered User Posts: 654 Member
    edited March 11
    @armian, Congrats on the Columbia letter. Curious to know if you also got into GA Tech yesterday?
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,355 Senior Member
    Congrats! What part of the country are you from? It will be a great experience to live in Manhattan.
  • got2surf2got2surf2 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @armian - congratulations. Columbia is much more selective than Cornell.

My daughter got a likely and Rabi Scholar from Columbia and was rejected by WashU - admissions is a somewhat arbitrary process once you go beyond the gatekeeper qualifications (GPA, SAT etc.) and they boil down to how interesting you are from the perspective of the application reader (essays primarily). A rejection is not a reflection on you as much as it is an indication that with the inexact science of admissions good people get rejected without significantly impacting the composition of the incoming class because there more smart people applying than the school can accept.

The other issue you run into occasionally (not saying Cornell does this but it is highly likely WashU does) is they reject people that they believe are unlikely to accept an offer of admission because that lowers their "acceptance rate" number as well as increases the "matriculation rate" number. Both impact US News rankings.