Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parsons School of Design worth it?

2»

Replies to: Parsons School of Design worth it?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,742 Super Moderator
    Everyone with a cell phone is now a photographer. That market is saturated. The cost is not worth it.
  • VAOptimistVAOptimist Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    University of Arizona and University of New Mexico are listed in the top ten for photography (graduate school but I don't think they rank undergrad) by US News. They are both taking applications until May 1.

Parsons is not affordable for you, but these schools might be. Run the Net Price Calculator on their websites before you spend the application fee.

• photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I am in CA. My parents move often so I was hoping to go to a school for four yeares in one location to avoid switching schools.
    Well starting pay is very different for the various types of photographers. I could do retouching and other editing on the side too. Yeah I agree, Parsons wants rich people with no talent instead of broke people with talent. Sad.
    In the long run photographers make more in NYC and I wanted to establish myself there. QS named Parsons the number one in art schools in the US for 2018.
    Well as an art photographer I definitely offer a different perspective. As an abstract art photographer I believe that I am offering something new to the market instead of just basic iPhone photos. I'll edit for two hours to make an abstract piece of art. It's oversatured but I can prove myself worthy.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,547 Senior Member
    Your parents will need to live in one place for a year to establish residency, before you start attending school there.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,075 Senior Member
    Get your degree at an affordable place. Then move to NYC to “establish yourself”. Make sure you save a TON of money before you move there...the cost of living is extremely high...higher than most places in CA.
    The COA here is higher than nyc actually.
    edited March 13
    Really? Studio apartment in NYC? You would need to demonstrate you have 40 times the monthly rent in income to get a lease. Will you be able to do THAT?
    Not studio. I was thinking somewhere with a roommate and not in Manhattan so it'd be A LOT cheaper.
    Maybe Jersey City.

But back to your issue. You do NOT have an affordable college right now.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,742 Super Moderator
    Moderator's Note: This thread is similar to two others so I will close this one and additional discussion can take place in https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2063326-out-of-state-fees.html#latest
2»
This discussion has been closed.