Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help this confused Mom please.......

Replies to: Help this confused Mom please.......

• AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,565 Senior Member
    Questbridge is an app for low income high potential students that guides them into elite schools with great financial aid. Their website is Questbridge.org
  • Skippy00Skippy00 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    While I appreciate all the help I'm still getting conflicting info that is confusing hence why I started yet another thread. I'm sorry you are annoyed by me. I am just trying to get clarity on need vs merit and whether that is counted or not. More opinions on the matter are always welcome as you can see there are members here that responded for the first time.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,372 Senior Member
    And to clarify need vs merit.

NEED based aid is awarded based on calculations done by EACH school that use your income, and assets...and other financial information gathers on the FAFSA and PROFILE forms.

MERIT aid is awarded based on the strength of your kid’s application to the college. This would include SAT or ACT scores, GPA, and sometimes some unique thing a kid has to contribute.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,123 Senior Member
    Yes, you can disregard my list because all the meets need schools are going to take business assets into account. @thumper1 is giving you good advice.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,533 Senior Member
    edited April 15
    @Skippy00
    thumper is not annoyed with you.
    But you keep on asking the same questions on different threads and what she is trying to tell you is the answers to your questions are net- net going to be the same because you own a business and the building the business operates in.
    You many not like her answers, but she is telling you the truth.

And she IS the go-to financial aid guru on CC.
    You will have to go to another website to get the answers you want.
    Post edited by vonlost on
    Some NPC's ask in depth income and asset questions like you mention including business equity etc I get an affordable Net cost at some like Lehigh and Lafayette but don't want to waste time if it's hogwash.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,388 Senior Member
    If you are low income, see if you qualify for free/reduced lunch at school.

If you qualify income wise then your S can get SAT test waivers (2), can have the GC verify low income and apply to all common app schools for free, and get additional 4 application fee waivers for non common app schools from Collegeboard. He can also get up to 8 CSS profile fees waived.

Your son is working hard in order to be able to afford to go to college.

If he had low stats, he would not have a chance to get accepted to selective, meet 100% need schools.

If he had low stats, he would not have a chance at significant merit.

He needs to identify a few good colleges where is guaranteed merit with his stats, then a few where he is likely to get merit, and then a few that meet 100% need.

He needs to research programs and opportunities at these schools and not just regard the quality of a school by ranking.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,297 Senior Member
    You need to start with some of the colleges suggested and take an in-depth look at what they say on their fin aid and scholarship pages. And how they do. Get a core understanding. As you actually work through these, you'll learn how to evalate the whole opportunity and what he offers or not, plus deeper questions to pursue.

"we are on a limited budget and I don't want to get my kids hopes up." Well, one way to handle this is the frank talk, as some suggested here. As a business owner, you don't know how you stand for aid. We were applying before NPCs were available and told ours, no college is a dream school, if the right aid doesn't come through. Up front and true.

And discourage this talk about "crappy" colleges. It's one of the immature things kids say. Lots of kids work hard. They choose colleges where they can fit, thrive, grow- and afford the costs. They go on to fine glory.
    Thank you everyone. No we do not qualify for free or reduced lunch.
  • NJRoadieNJRoadie Forum Champion Rowan, Forum Champion TCNJ Posts: 573 Forum Champion
    @skippy00
    My experience is no free/reduced price lunch = no Pell grant eligibility.

I am also of the strong opinion to do the research and narrow your list of candidate schools sharply. Don't waste money applying to 20 schools, or even 10. Smarter option is to figure out a reasonable application budget - and stick to it. Some colleges will let you apply for free, but you still have to pay to send the SAT scores. You need a budget for travel to go see the schools. You need to have some money set aside for this time next year for housing deposits, orientation fees etc.

The final point I'd make - your son should be actively involved in this process. This is not YOUR college, it is HIS. :)

Best of luck.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,372 Senior Member
    https://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/1280

I think this is the link to MA SNAP eligibility. It’s possible to be lower income...but maybe have too much money in the bank to qualify for SNAP.