right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
JOIN US for the "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Registered members can ask their questions NOW!

Ruining chance of going to an ivy league?

IneedlifehelpIneedlifehelp 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited June 2018 in Athletic Recruits
I have accepted a scholarship to play a division 1 sport at a top 150 university in the US. Now, I am an excellent student and, without being cocky or anything, I had a pretty realistic chance of being accepted to an ivy league. Now, I had no luck with any ivy recruiting (currently finishing my junior year) and therefore pursued other academic options. Since everyone knows that I had a realistic chance of going to an ivy league I have been having some "backlash" for lack of better words. Friends, my counselor etc do not understand my decision to go to the other school and now I am having second thoughts. I know that the school I am going to is not a dead-end school, but it does not have the name an ivy holds. So, what I am trying to say is do you think it would have been better to have taken the chance and applied to an ivy league, possibly have gotten accepted and then walked-on, or go to a decent university and get to play the sport D1 too. Should I have waited and taken the gamble? Honestly, I also want to simply apply to at least one ivy league senior year, just to see if I would have gotten in. Ever since the 6th grade the ivy league has been my goal, but when athletic recruiting began, I realized that the ivy league was not the end-all-be-all and decided to look at "lesser" prestigious schools. I just want to make it clear that I understand that there is more to this world than the ivy league, I am just wondering if I should have pursued it nonetheless considering my chances of getting accepted.
Also, is there any way that I could apply, even just for the fun of it? This is considering the fact that I will have an NLI, and I think the coach wants me to apply ED, but I am not 100% sure.
edited June 2018
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Ruining chance of going to an ivy league?

  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23815 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Yes, you can apply even if you sign the NLI. The NLI would only prevent you from PLAYING for another schools that also participate in the NLI process for at least a year. Ivies don't use the NLI so you might be okay. Also, the NLI school can release you (but don't count on that).

    If you do apply ED to your D1 school, and you haven't been accepted by the Ivy by the time you receive your ED acceptance, you must withdraw your other applications. You don't have to apply ED just because you signed the NLI. The coach could find out and either withdraw the offer or just be mean to you.

    If you don't want to go to the D1 school, don't go. If you do want to go, tell your counselors you've made a decision you are happy with. need to go to the D1. Don't worry about them. You also need to accept that it is your choice to go to this other school and that by making the choice you are giving up some things like the Ivy league but getting other things like a scholarship or better team.

    Just how it is. You can't go to both schools. Don't try to play one against the other or you could lose both.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity