right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Grades dropped sophomore year. Am I screwed?

0rcawhale0rcawhale 24 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello,
I am a rising junior. I attend a top private school (nationally ranked). I transferred sophomore year and my grades dropped from freshman year. Freshman year I had an avg of 3.7 GPA. Sophomore year, I had an average of an 85 unweighted first semester and an 88 the second semester. I took half honors classes half regular and since my school weights at 3%, this leads to an 86.5 weighted and an 89.5 weighted.
I understand my grades were fairly low but I do attend a top school. Also, I was a member of 7 different clubs. I suffered a major injury in the fall so I could not participate in the varsity sports I usually participate in. I took the PSAT10 in the spring and got a score of 1440 so I don’t know what the actual score will be for the real SAT but I doubt I’ll do bad.
I will be taking 2-3 AP’s, 1 honors, and 2 regular classes next year (the regular classes are in subjects where honors aren’t offered). I will be doing a college credit class at a top university over the summer (ranked top 5 in the world) as well as volunteering at a refugee camp. I’ve done over 40 hours of community service as well. I speak 3 languages fluently (2 being native). I’m a first generation immigrant. I live in New Jersey and money is (thank god) not an issue. I slacked off sophomore year and regret it but I hope to get a 90 average or above next year.
I’d like to study political science/international affairs in college. Considering my statistics, what colleges would be matches/low reaches. What would be a safety?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Grades dropped sophomore year. Am I screwed?

• VickiSoCalVickiSoCal 3367 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think you need to cut back on the EC's. Your test scores indicate you have the ability to do better in school but you sound like you are taking on too much. 7 clubs plus sports is not necessary, even for the best colleges. 2-3 that you focus on, plus more study time!
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5181 replies74 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Harvard screwed perhaps. But even a 4uw probably doesn’t get hyps anymore.

Life screwed. Not in the least. But work a bit more diligently around grades and more opportunities will follow.
    · Reply · Share
  • 0rcawhale0rcawhale 24 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @VickiSoCal @privatebanker thank you. What colleges would you say are matches?
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22754 replies2239 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Since you are at a "top private school (nationally ranked)" I would start off any search for specific colleges by taking to your guidance counselor in the fall to get some college suggestions -- he/she should have an excellent idea of where students with your stats from your HS have been accepted to in recent years. Take advantage of the guidance and resources your schools very likely has readily available.

But IMO your top priory now should not be thinking about what colleges you can apply to -- instead you should focus completely on having as successful a junior year as possible. Do as well as you can in classes and study for and do your best on standardized tests. Wait until you are midway through your junior year and you will probably have a sense of how you are doing and better be able to assess what colleges might make sense for you.
    edited June 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • boudersbouders 2446 replies170 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would be wary of taking a college credit course as a rising junior. That grade will follow you to college and grad school school applications. My did his law school applications this year. Many applicants were dismayed to find that the awful grades they had obtained in college courses as a high school student counted in their college GPA.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity