right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9011 replies335 threads Senior Member
edited July 2018 in Community & Forum Issues
While searching through the "latest posts" recently I've noticed numerous "banned" posters. Most were the OP's, so in 10 pages of latest posts several avatars have "Banned" prominently stamped across them. CC already seems to have a reputation as being harsh because of the straightforwardness of some of the posters. If I were new to the forum and ran across page after page of banned posters, my impression wouldn't be that it's a welcoming site.

I wonder if I'm the only one who found the image startling. I can understand the need for moderators to be able to quickly identify banned posters, but I wonder if there's a more subtle way of doing it. Perhaps a special avatar could be created that could be assigned only to those who've been banned. A less obtrusive marking, such as a small red CC in the corner of the current avatar, seems preferable to the current method.
edited July 2018
100 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

• doschicosdoschicos 21422 replies223 threads Senior Member
    Agree that it seems like overkill. CC has gotten along just fine in the past without scarlet letters. While we're at it, I've never been a fan of the jail bars either.
    · Reply · Share
  • GoldPennGoldPenn 158 replies6 threads Junior Member
    I noticed the same thing. It would be nice to use a different word such as, "inactive," or perhaps a different avatar that's readily identifiable.
    · Reply · Share
  • patsmompatsmom 4216 replies508 threads Senior Member
    Which device are you on that you can see "banned" stamped across the avatar? I'm on a laptop and the only way I can see if someone is banned is to hover my mouse over the avatar when their post is on the screen.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 39596 replies7188 threads Super Moderator
    I can understand the need for moderators to be able to quickly identify banned posters
    Just so we're clear on concept, the moderators did not devise this. In fact, I was not even aware of this until a user pointed it out. We have other means to quickly identify banned members.

@CCadmin_Sorin Would you like to weigh in?
    · Reply · Share
  • Bubblewrap666Bubblewrap666 167 replies7 threads Junior Member
    @patsmom For me, safari browser on my iPhone
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I think it shows we take care of you know whats, and the TOS mean something. I like being able to tell. It was hard to know before.
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75215 replies3300 threads Senior Member
    The only “banned” noted is the OP to a thread. I’m not sure that’s an issue.
    · Reply · Share
  • worelyclanworelyclan 54 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I would think it would suggest something very different than likely harsh straightforwardness of posters. I would think, as I do, that it indicates that posters really need to watch their Ps and Qs and that the regulatory environment might be a bit more than some would like.

It would not have given me the idea that I'm going to be eaten up by the natives

In any event, I found it humorous.
    · Reply · Share
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2429 replies216 threads Community Manager
    Do you guys have an example of a banned user that is showing the banned label? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7941 replies158 threads Senior Member
    I've pretty much never noticed one.

· Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14812 replies996 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    @CCadmin_Sorin The CCer of post 8 above.
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 2018
    Do you guys have an example of a banned user that is showing the banned label? Thanks!
    @CCadmin_Sorin There's 2 different issues. The avatar of the banned user displays as in post 8. Note that this is a subtle difference from the default avatar.

The banned "label," AFAIK, is browser-dependent. A general user cannot see it with Safari, but can with other browsers (I forget the specifics, since mods can see it regardless of browser).
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom 5570 replies337 threads Senior Member
    I only see "banned" if I hover over with my mouse, never noticed this before this thread. If a user is banned how can they post?
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 2018
    If a user is banned how can they post?
    They can't. When we ban a user, any posts that do not violate ToS remain. Since we do not delete posts on request, some users have erroneously thought that if they get themselves banned, that they can circumvent the system to get their posts deleted that way.
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2429 replies216 threads Community Manager
    The avatar of the banned user displays as in post 8. Note that this is a subtle difference from the default avatar.

@skieurope, do you have an example of a user that displays this avatar?
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78600 replies697 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    For the same apparently-banned user:

Firefox mobile: avatar has the word "banned" on it.
    Firefox desktop/laptop: avatar shows the hat with one corner pointing to a bullseye on the left.

Browsing the College Life section with Firefox mobile will show several sticky threads started by users with the "banned" avatar.

Note also that the list of threads in Firefox mobile shows the thread starter and his/her avatar, but does not show the most recent poster and his/her avatar. In Firefox desktop/laptop, the thread starter is named but his/her avatar is not shown, and the most recent poster and his/her avatar is shown. So banned users who happened to start sticky or popular threads may be more noticeable on browsers like Firefox mobile than on browsers like Firefox desktop/laptop (presumably based on how this web site renders based on browser detection).
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14812 replies996 threads Senior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin The regular graduation cap has a "target" to its left. Not really subtle in MS Edge.
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 threads Senior Member
    I can’t see it in iPad, but I can see it in iPhone.
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18787 replies14480 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 2018
    I see red banned banner on iPhone but not on Mac Safari (but hovering over icon shows "[username] (banned)").
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share