Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

Replies to: Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,149 Super Moderator
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,591 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    For the same apparently-banned user:

Firefox mobile: avatar has the word "banned" on it.
    Firefox desktop/laptop: avatar shows the hat with one corner pointing to a bullseye on the left.

Browsing the College Life section with Firefox mobile will show several sticky threads started by users with the "banned" avatar.

Note also that the list of threads in Firefox mobile shows the thread starter and his/her avatar, but does not show the most recent poster and his/her avatar. In Firefox desktop/laptop, the thread starter is named but his/her avatar is not shown, and the most recent poster and his/her avatar is shown. So banned users who happened to start sticky or popular threads may be more noticeable on browsers like Firefox mobile than on browsers like Firefox desktop/laptop (presumably based on how this web site renders based on browser detection).
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,065 Senior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin The regular graduation cap has a "target" to its left. Not really subtle in MS Edge.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    I can’t see it in iPad, but I can see it in iPhone.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 31,043 Super Moderator
    edited July 2018
    I see red banned banner on iPhone but not on Mac Safari (but hovering over icon shows "[username] (banned)").
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,772 Senior Member
    Using Chrome, the banned label for poster #8 is clearly showing in the avitar.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,613 Senior Member
    i tried opening in safari. Did not see the banned sash.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 2,330 Community Manager
    Thanks, guys! I was eventually able to replicate this. It looks like the new avatar is showing up only on some devices/browsers. For me, I see them only on iPhone, not Mac. I'll get back once I hear back from the tech team.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,758 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I see nothing for the user in post #8. I am confused. If a user is banned, how can they post?
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,071 Senior Member
    @Lindagaf, Users would have to have posted before they were banned. There are users with thousands of posts who were banned and every post they made will have the banned label because that's their avatar. It stays with their ID just like your pretty kitty travels with yours.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 2,330 Community Manager
    @Lindagaf, I don't see it either on my Mac. The new avatar is visible only on some browsers/devices. We are looking into it now. Thanks!
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,758 Senior Member
    Thanks for explaining, but I still don't see why a banned user is allowed to post. If they are banned, shouldn't they be prohibited from using the site, full stop? If they did something egregious enough to be banned in the first place, why be allowed to stay on CC? Banned is meaningless otherwise.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,071 Senior Member
    The banned users aren't posting anymore, @Lindagaf. People are posting to threads the banned users started before they were banned. Once a thread is closed we can still access it for research, and since posts aren't deleted anything a banned user wrote before they were banned will be visible to us.
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    Two banned users (whose posts I found thought-provoking, and occasionally provoking in other ways) are @SatchelSF and @Pizzagirl. On the iPad I’m using right now, their avatars show as bullseyes overlapping and to the left of the mortarboard.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    Dumb question: are these folks banned as in forever, or like the old jail bars where you are locked for a period of time?

I think Linda is asking how poster #8 posted here about banning if they are indeed banned. Perhaps a coincidence that they were banned right after posting here? (Maybe a dupe account or new account of banned poster.)