right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

Replies to: Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

• suzyQ7suzyQ7 3975 replies55 threads Senior Member
    Using Chrome, the banned label for poster #8 is clearly showing in the avitar.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55821 replies2907 threads Senior Member
    i tried opening in safari. Did not see the banned sash.
    · Reply · Share
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2429 replies216 threads Community Manager
    Thanks, guys! I was eventually able to replicate this. It looks like the new avatar is showing up only on some devices/browsers. For me, I see them only on iPhone, not Mac. I'll get back once I hear back from the tech team.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9382 replies502 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I see nothing for the user in post #8. I am confused. If a user is banned, how can they post?
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9012 replies335 threads Senior Member
    @Lindagaf, Users would have to have posted before they were banned. There are users with thousands of posts who were banned and every post they made will have the banned label because that's their avatar. It stays with their ID just like your pretty kitty travels with yours.
    · Reply · Share
    @Lindagaf, I don't see it either on my Mac. The new avatar is visible only on some browsers/devices. We are looking into it now. Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9382 replies502 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for explaining, but I still don't see why a banned user is allowed to post. If they are banned, shouldn't they be prohibited from using the site, full stop? If they did something egregious enough to be banned in the first place, why be allowed to stay on CC? Banned is meaningless otherwise.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9012 replies335 threads Senior Member
    The banned users aren't posting anymore, @Lindagaf. People are posting to threads the banned users started before they were banned. Once a thread is closed we can still access it for research, and since posts aren't deleted anything a banned user wrote before they were banned will be visible to us.
    · Reply · Share
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 1055 replies6 threads Senior Member
    Two banned users (whose posts I found thought-provoking, and occasionally provoking in other ways) are @SatchelSF and @Pizzagirl. On the iPad I’m using right now, their avatars show as bullseyes overlapping and to the left of the mortarboard.
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 threads Senior Member
    Dumb question: are these folks banned as in forever, or like the old jail bars where you are locked for a period of time?

I think Linda is asking how poster #8 posted here about banning if they are indeed banned. Perhaps a coincidence that they were banned right after posting here? (Maybe a dupe account or new account of banned poster.)
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14813 replies996 threads Senior Member
    @HRSMom I think that duplicate accounts is a primary reason for getting banned.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 39599 replies7190 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for explaining, but I still don't see why a banned user is allowed to post. If they are banned, shouldn't they be prohibited from using the site, full stop? If they did something egregious enough to be banned in the first place, why be allowed to stay on CC? Banned is meaningless otherwise.
    @Lindagaf I answered the question in post 14. Banned users cannot post. Any posts appearing from a banned user were made before the user was banned.
    are these folks banned as in forever, or like the old jail bars where you are locked for a period of time?
    The jail bars still exist. Jail bars do not lock a person out of his/her account; they "only" prevent the user from starting new threads until the jail bars are removed. Banned users are locked out of their account.
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 threads Senior Member
    Got it! Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38773 replies2127 threads Super Moderator
    And some people are banned temporarily, while others are banned permanently.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38773 replies2127 threads Super Moderator
    ^Very true. We give people several chances, especially if they have been around for awhile.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78600 replies697 threads Senior Member
    On Firefox mobile, the avatar for banned users shown on Firefox desktop/laptop (hat with bulls eye) shows in the top center as the button to go to the top level list of forums.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75221 replies3300 threads Senior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin I just emailed you a screenshot showing the word BANNED over an OPs icon.

I see this on my iPhone...but not my iPad.
    · Reply · Share
  • HowardGradlyHowardGradly 158 replies6 threads Junior Member
    If a user has the word “Banned” across the cap and tassel - does that mean the user is gone, unable to respond? I’m seeing users with this designation that have posted as recent as today.
    · Reply · Share
    @HowardGradly, if you see "BANNED" written on a profile pic, the user was permanently banned from the site. The user history remains though, that's why you still see their posts (which might have been written right before the ban). Just to double-check, can you name the users you were referring to?
    · Reply · Share