Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy League Recruitable 6k erg times

jhrowerjhrower Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I have heard from many people that top colleges, including ivy's, ask for your 2k and or 6k when recruiting. The standard 2k recruitable time for Ivy League Heavyweights is about 6:20. What would the standard recruitable time be for 6k? Someone I know who was recruited by Princeton was asked to send in his 2k or his 6k, whichever was better. Is this common these days? Is one better to send in than the other?

Replies to: Ivy League Recruitable 6k erg times

• CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    The 6k may have some value (fitness leved l) but the 2k is what matters.
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    2k is the gold standard but it's only one measure. Coachability is key but that measure doesn't come into play until an OV. Seen plenty of athletes with great 2k who get recruited then languish on lower boats because they are missing the other critical elements in the mix. Someone compared a 2k to an ACT or SAT. I think it's a fair comparison in that it predicts ability but not actual success.
  • jhrowerjhrower Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Does anyone know what an impressive 6k time would be for a recruit? What would the 6k time be if it was at the same level as a 6:20 recruitable time?
    It is irrelevant until you have a compelling 2K. It is like worrying about subject test scores before tackling the SAT or ACT
    20 minutes would be a strong 6K