Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Retake 1530 SAT?

phillyspecial21phillyspecial21 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I’ve only taken the SAT once. I got an 800 on the math section and 730 on reading.

I’m worried this reading score will hurt me when applying to top colleges, but I also lack the motivation to retake. I honestly would rather spend time working on apps and doing volunteering. Prepping again for the SAT feels like a waste of time, especially since once one gets into the 1500s, there’s practically no margin for error. I don’t want to prep and then ultimately get a very similar (or worse score).

For some additional context, I received 800s on both the Math II and US History subject tests. I took 5 APs this year and got all 5s, and I plan to take a similar course load this coming school year. I’m in the top 3-5 of my class of 280 at a suburban public high school. My extracurriculars are solid (probably the best feature of my profile).

As of now, I think I’ll be applying ED to Dartmouth College in the fall.

So, should I retake? Any advice, insight, or helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies to: Retake 1530 SAT?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,213 Super Moderator
    edited July 2018
    I also lack the motivation
    Well, there's your answer.

If Dartmouth rejects you, I doubt it will be the result of a 730.
  • phillyspecial21phillyspecial21 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    You’re right. The motivation aspect of my dilemma is so important to consider. Thanks for the help!
  • ItisatruthItisatruth Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    Yeah, you're done. :)
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 3,170 Senior Member
    You’re fine and it shouldn’t be the reason for a y s or no. At the 1500 level or above accounted for 37k out of all test takers. 1.9mm I believe. It’s a great score.

But if you feel you would like to work on one portion for the super score boost, by all means give it a go.

Good luck on senior year.