Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Probation early Soph Year....How will affect Sons chances?

WorriedDad45WorriedDad45 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
My S and a handful of fellow students were placed on probation for signing in and then leaving mandatory chapel services. He clearly was at fault and we are looking for any advice on how to address the misstep on his common app and how this might affect his chances at admission to top tier schools? He transferred to a different school after his soph year and his current school counselor is shocked and dismayed by this outcome and has no intention of reporting it on her recommendation.

Replies to: Probation early Soph Year....How will affect Sons chances?

• suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,606 Senior Member
    I really don't think this is a big deal. I don't think it's going to have any impact. Don't worry Dad45.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,813 Forum Champion
    I thought you meant legal probation.

I would not think it would be mentioned at all. It will have no impact at all.

HOWEVER, high school only put him on probation in school because they know high schoolers make mistakes. But this should not let him feel free to do it again...he should learn that if he signs his name on something, he is attesting that it is true. As he gets older, the consequences Could get worse...like saying that were in class but you weren't in college...that is academic dishonesty and you could get kicked out.
  • WorriedDad45WorriedDad45 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thx bopper for the feedback. He was placed on disciplinary probation...I am not sure I understand your comment "I would not think it would be mentioned at all"? Thx for clarifying.
  • CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Registered User Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    Find out if it will be listed on the transcript from the other school. If it is, because it's part of the "permanent record," the Counselor may have to address it. If so, it's not that difficult - she states that he learned from the experience and hasn't had any further disciplinary issues.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,335 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I can't imagine that looking good on applications to Liberty, Brigham Young, or perhaps Notre Dame.

As long as he keeps his nose clean here on out, it will be a non-issue. ;)
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,193 Super Moderator
    edited July 2018
    perhaps Notre Dame.
    It won't be an issue for Notre Dame :)
    has no intention of reporting it on her recommendation.
    Then it's pretty much a non-issue for every school if the GC does not mention it.

Colleges know that kids will be kids. Most HS kids will have some type of disciplinary action, but there is a difference between minor ones like cutting chapel or using a cell phone versus major ones (which colleges will care about, like drug dealing and hazing.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 3,166 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    You’ll be fine
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,216 Senior Member
    First, see if the former hs records have been incorporated into the current transcript or not. (If so, you don't have to deal with the former school's records and what they may state.) If so, and no disciplinary note appears on the current transcript, then it follows the GC's lead. It's not her "letter" where it matters. It's the form where she reports gpa, rigor, etc. There's a question there about disciplinary history.

But I agree, this is minor. This is kid stuff and will be more than two years in the past, when he applies to colleges.
    It is not on the transcript from his prior school......only academic performance. His previous school would show a record of his probation. I am not sure how to proceed. If his GC does not note the probation and my S notates on his Common App will this come across strange or suspect to an admissions officer? We agree that the infraction was minor and aside from this mistake he has been a model student. ACT:33; UNW GPA: 3.8 with 9 honors courses and tons of quality outside activities.
    He is looking at Notre Dame, USC, Wake, Duke, Tulane, Boston College, Georgetown, Emory, U of Wisconsin (Madison) and SMU.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,216 Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    So you're saying, he has one transcript he will present, the current. It includes academic records from
    the prior school, BUT on this current transcript, NO mention of probabtion? AND a GC willing to ignore something like that, in the past?

Many high schools have a policy NOT to report any disciplinary actions. Period. Most times we tell an honest kid to go with the GC direction. This becomes a school-driven decision. You son can mirror the current GC with no guilt.

The two of them, your son and the GC, put their heads together and answer as they decide.

I appreciate you and your son exporing what's needed and how to be honest. But this infraction is not a showstopper and you can truly go with the GC.

Addressing your worries: you will be following the GC lead. This incident is NOT the sort of thing that's alarming to adcoms who deal with kids year in and year out.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,813 Forum Champion
    Also think about it from a college perspective...one time a kid skipped out of chapel. Is this something they truly care about ? No.
    Thank you for your advice and counsel. We will be reviewing with his GC for final guidance.