Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stanford wraps up 25th Directors’ Cup, plus Capital One Cup for men, women

sbballersbballer Registered User Posts: 587 Member
https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Stanford-wraps-up-25th-straight-Directors-Cup-13034695.php

What do you call a sports dynasty that has lasted almost a quarter century?

Stanford.

The school has locked up the Learfield Directors’ Cup for the 24th straight year, as well as the men’s and women’s divisions of the Capital One Cup.

Replies to: Stanford wraps up 25th Directors’ Cup, plus Capital One Cup for men, women

• moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 992 Member
    edited July 2018
    As impressive as that is I would place UF as the only other program I would put above Stanford especially in the big name sports of football, basketball and baseball.

https://www.bestcollegereviews.org/features/most-successful-college-athletics-programs/

I believe they finished #3 overall this year in the Director's Cup as well.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,444 Forum Champion
    What do you call a sports dynasty that has lasted almost a quarter century?

A school that sponsors many more sports than most of its big time big time Division 1 competitors?
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    I call it a business.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 2,806 Senior Member
    Well, when you have the best weather, best location and the best education, what do you expect? :-B
  • iaparentiaparent Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    It is easy to win the cup when you offer 16 men's sports and 20 women's sports and most power 5 schools offer only 50% - 60% of that. You get a lot of "free points" in sports like water polo, squash, sailing, synchro swimming, fencing, beach volleyball, etc. when there are very few other programs.
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 992 Member
    ^^^It's a big part of why I said UF was more impressive. They field 21 to Stanford's 36 and have National Championships in football, basketball and baseball and still finished 3rd in the Director's Cup.
  • aw12345awaw12345aw Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    What are free points?
  • iaparentiaparent Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    By free points I meant in a sport like water polo, where I believe there are less than 20 teams on the men's side, it is not difficult for a large, well funded school like Stanford to finish in the top 8, thereby gaining 46+ points in the cup standings while a school like Florida gets 0 points. Multiply this by the number of "small sports" Stanford participate in that most schools do not (beach volleyball, lacrosse, fencing,etc.) and it is easy to see how they can win each year when they have so many more opportunities to score points than most other schools.

The fact that the PAC10 had 3 teams in the top 4 is not surprising given the fact that all 3 schools scored points in small sports such as water polo and beach volleyball that are very geographically limiting.