right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. Due to very high demand we will be streaming the event on our Facebook page. Let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions tomorrow (4/1). Share your outcome!
Tulane is rumored to release decisions today (3/31). Share your outcome!
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Starting Chinese, Russian, Japanese, etc from scratch in college?

honeylemon7honeylemon7 10 replies4 threads New Member
I've never taken any of these languages before, though I am a language learning enthusiast. I'm just used to ABCs instead of completely different characters. I plan on double majoring, half international business, half language. Is it crazy to start one of these as a total beginner, especially since I would have to learn to write differently? Or do colleges focus mainly on speaking these first? I have heard Russian and Chinese are notoriously difficult, so would it be a horrible idea to pin my grades on them when I have zero experience?
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Starting Chinese, Russian, Japanese, etc from scratch in college?

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 42516 replies460 threads Senior Member
    The alphabet is the least of your worries in alphabet languages. Character based languages are a different beast.
    You can start one language from scratch but plan to devote AT LEAST 3 hours out of class for each class period. The pace will be brutal - you cover one HS semester in a month, or one week per class period.
    It's usually very enriching if you're interested. You need to reach upper intermediate (4th semester or AP) to benefit from study abroad - and plan on a full semester - a full year is important if you're going for an idea language.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity