Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

Replies to: Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

• HowardGradlyHowardGradly Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    Ok. I’m using chrome via iPhone. Cobrat is banned from my browser.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,678 Senior Member
    Any way we could get the time and date added to banned posters?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,204 Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    I think it's never shown on cell or notepad, just with the mouse on a laptop. If there's some trick to seeing "banned" on other devices than the laptop, would help in those random moments of curiosity.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,919 Super Moderator
    @HowardGradly I'm not seeing any recent posts for Ccprof2018.
    As a side note, sometimes accounts are banned when they are multiple accounts, since those aren't allowed by the Terms of Service. In those cases, the primary account can still post.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,145 Super Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Any way we could get the time and date added to banned posters?
    I'm not seeing the value-added proposition here. Presumably it will be close to their last log-in.
    Ccprof2018 is “banned”
    And has not posted since the ban, nor would s/he be able to.
    I’m seeing users with this designation that have posted as recent as today.
    Could be; I've banned users today. As mentioned earlier, unless the posts violate ToS, posts remain.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,678 Senior Member
    @skieurope it would save you the step of going to their profile to see their last log on. If your going to put "banned" on someones avatar I think it could just as easily say "banned month/day/year" You are a mod and *very* accustomed to this site but I'll bet many users have no idea they can look up a posters last log on.
    Well, I didn't even know you had to scroll over an avatar to see "Banned," so I'm not sure how many people would even see the designation.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,071 Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    I can see the word "banned" on my Android without doing anything. I don't even have to scroll over the avatar. When I look down a page of latest posts, if several OPs have been banned then I see a column of regular avatars interspersed with avatars that have "banned" stamped prominently across the avatar.
    That's interesting!
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,163 Senior Member
    I also use an Android and can see banned across the mortarboard without doing anything.
    edited August 2018
    I'll bet many users have no idea they can look up a posters last log on.
    For experienced users, I'll take that bet. :) Certainly based on posts or flagged reports that I see when a user tries to revive a dormant thread - "so and so has not logged in for 6 months."
    it would save you the step of going to their profile to see their last log on.
    This gets into the category of nice to have vs. need to have, I'd posit that no user needs to have such information about another user. Personally, if as described by another user, one has "those random moments of curiosity," then one can take the extra step. In the grand scheme of things that I have on my wish list for this site, this would be way down there. There are things that users think would be easy to accomplish that, in reality, are not so easy.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,204 Senior Member
    Hmm, not on my android.
    Is the bullseye target related to being banned?
    I admit knowing x was banned is just idlecuriosity on my part, will be quiet about this now.
    Is the bullseye target related to being banned?
    Yes. it was discussed in an earlier thread. In fact, I'm going to go merge the threads.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,592 Senior Member
    I think it's never shown on cell or notepad, just with the mouse on a laptop. If there's some trick to seeing "banned" on other devices than the laptop, would help in those random moments of curiosity.

When browsing from mobile devices, banned users' avatars have "BANNED" on them. This is different from the avatar shown for banned users on non-mobile devices.