right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Can I get into UVA? Help!!

abcseniorabcsenior 2 replies8 threadsRegistered User New Member
edited August 2018 in University of Virginia
I'm thinking about applying early to UVA but I'm not sure I can get in. I'm out of state and I have a parent alumni (grad school - not sure if that helps). I have a 1470 on the SAT and mostly A-/B+ grades, but at a hard private school. Is it possible? Does applying early help? What are other, good and similar schools that I should look into as a safety?
edited August 2018
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can I get into UVA? Help!!

• gandalf78gandalf78 1843 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What are you interested in studying?

I know some UVA alums (undergraduate, not graduate) who have told me that their kids are considered as part of the instate applicant pool for admissions purposes, although they would still be classified as OOS for tuition purposes. Whether there is a basis in fact for this or not, I can't say; but you might look at Section C7 of UVA's Common Data Set to determine whether legacy status is considered as an admissions factor (or call the admissions office to discuss). If that is indeed the case, then you may have a leg up as an OOS applicant.

Applying EA probably does help. You should compare your statistics to the ones found in Sections C9, C11, and C12 of the UVA Common Data Set, so you can see if you are above the 75th percentile of admitted students (which is probably where you want to be as an OOS applicant). Section C7 of the CDS tells you what factors are considered, and roughly how they are weighed, in admissions decisions by UVA.

"[O]ther, good and similar schools" are NOT going to be "safety schools" in the sense that many CC posters consider -- that is, a school where you are a slam-dunk admit and that you can easily afford. For a safety school, you might want to start considering public universities in your home state; and look at Sections C9, C11, and C12 of their respective Common Data Sets to see whether you fall above the 75th percentile of admitted students; and then consider the costs of those schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • CenterCenter 2204 replies66 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @gandalf78 yes it puts you with the instate pool for admissions evaluation
    · Reply · Share
  • gandalf78gandalf78 1843 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Center: Thanks for clarifying that!
    · Reply · Share
  • CaviteeCavitee 149 replies12 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
  • krisp13krisp13 25 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    In terms of admissions, is it worth sending in your subject test scores? I know that the UVA website said that it is optional for the upcoming application year, but I would like to know if there are any advantages or disadvantages of not sending.

I took Chemistry and Math II, but the scores are not the best and I don't really planning on taking it again.
    · Reply · Share
  • seaotter17seaotter17 160 replies12 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @krisp13 if the scores aren't the best (I don't know what you consider to be good or bad but if it's lower than 600 I wouldn't), I would not send them in as they won't really add anything to your application.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dean JDean J 4463 replies64 threadsCollege Rep Senior Member
    Things you should send to colleges that interest you:
    -Required stuff
    -Optional stuff that makes you look good (if they accept them, of course)

Good luck! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • jmk518jmk518 325 replies2 threadsRegistered User Member
    You can look at Dean J's blog and see unofficial admissions offer statistics for IS and OOS, EA and RD. For the class of 2022 IS EA was 44% and OOS was 21%. For RD IS was 38% and OOS was 21%. I dropped the fractions. You can probably go back to prior years to get more data points.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity