right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

UNC Class of 2023 EA Discussion Thread

Replies to: UNC Class of 2023 EA Discussion Thread

• johnander123johnander123 22 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    @ArWrFe the ACT is phenomenal, honestly I would say UNC would be a safety if you weren't from Wake.
    · Reply · Share
  • feenicksfeenicks 38 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Just curious...did you/your student receive an email on or around December 6, subject "Think with great minds at Carolina". Dear (student), Finding your life's calling and your mentors could happen on your first day at Carolina. And ended with "We can't wait to see what inspires you and how you'll inspire others, here at Carolina". Nothing about "please apply" so I assume it was pulled from students who have already applied. Not making any assumption here. Daughter is a high stat student and has already heard from U of SC and Clemson, both with scholarship. Could this be a nod from UNC-CH to some students to hold on - it's coming? I counsel other homeschooled high school students and am trying to get a good feel of the application progression for the NC & SC public universities. Any input or past experience would be appreciated.
    · Reply · Share
  • truthspeakertruthspeaker 25 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    @feenicks same email received. I dont think it is any hint of anything.
    · Reply · Share
  • karen0karen0 142 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    @feenicks My son is out of state and received the same email. I'd love to think it has any meaning, my guess is that all applicants received.
    · Reply · Share
  • ppxyz123ppxyz123 110 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    Yes recd the same email and also another one today with Happy Holidays..
    · Reply · Share
  • karen0karen0 142 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    I called the admissions office to ask, the emails mean nothing pertaining to admissions decisions. They just want students to be aware of the research opportunities.
    · Reply · Share
  • michigan2019michigan2019 21 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    we love it when carolina sends really nice emails to applicants that literally mean nothing
    · Reply · Share
  • SnatchCatSnatchCat 29 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    Take it with a grain of salt but I applied EA and didn't receive an email(s), and I'm OOS with pretty decent stats....so maybe it does mean something for those who did receive additional emails? Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • PastpowerPastpower 377 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 380 Member
    Emails don’t mean a thing. Many received them last year and weren’t admitted and vice versa. UNC always sends them randomly
    · Reply · Share
  • stuckinthefuturestuckinthefuture 96 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    Really nervous... I keep coming across these threads with nearly perfect OOS applicants rejected EA :/. Any current OOS students here to reassure me?
    · Reply · Share
  • Tuxrd2Tuxrd2 86 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Doesn't it seem like a strange policy to randomly send extra (falsely encouraging) emails to some applicants and not others? I understand they don't "mean" anything but if you send them - shouldn't you send them to everyone?
    · Reply · Share
    @stuckinthefuture You’ve got to rid yourself of this notion that especially for a college like UNC, there’s a “perfect applicant,” especially OOS. UNC makes its decisions based on multiple factors so much of the profiles for accepted students won’t be identical. This leads many objectively rather qualified students to receive rejection letters. Simply relax and wait until the decisions are out. Wasting energy over determining whether you believe you will be admitted is extremely futile.
    · Reply · Share
    @Tuxurd2 I’m sure they mean to send them to everyone, a multitude of issues probably arise on the technological side of things and for some reason they don’t end up reaching their intended destination.
    · Reply · Share
  • 19he2064019he20640 5 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @stuckinthefuture OOS applicant here, don't worry about having stuff like perfect stats! Stuff like ECs and essays matter way more. If it's any reassurance, I got good news back from a T10 school with a 30 ACT and no AP tests lol
    · Reply · Share
  • VottledBodkaVottledBodka 10 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    On the topic of emails, I believe UNC does occasionally send likely letters. I received an email from an admissions officer mid-November mentioning personal details from my application.
    · Reply · Share