Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help us balance out a visit/explore list!!!

13»

Replies to: Help us balance out a visit/explore list!!!

• dadof2ddadof2d Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    Why did Bennington come off of the list?
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,830 Senior Member
    If she's worried about isolated schools you might want to nix College of the Atlantic. The school is tin and Bar Harbor, although lovely, is the definition of isolated.
  • gandalf78gandalf78 Registered User Posts: 1,876 Senior Member
    I second the suggestion @TheGreyKing's suggestion of Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts.
  • ItisatruthItisatruth Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    @dadof2d Bennington: Too small, too isolated. So, yes, @Sue22, COA should get dropped too but I am completely intrigued and want to go visit myself so I may put it in the Spring Break visit mix as my wild card. (I'm sure I'll be rethinking that 'round about Portsmouth NH...)

Will put Wheaton on the list, thanks @TheGreyKing abd @gandalf78!
    Another update: PSAT11 came in at 650M 700EBRW, and she just got a 30 on a proctored practice ACT. No prep for either of these, and/but she also said tonight she's not interested in any tutoring or test prep. So, filling in the Match/Likely part of the list is increasingly important.
    Where we're at:

Definitely apply:
    Reach: Barnard
    Match: Byn Mawr, Macalester
    Likely: Mount Holyoke, Sarah Lawrence

Want to choose 6-8 more to visit this winter and over spring break from this longer list:
    Reach: Brown, Wellesley, Vassar, Wesleyan, Bates (high match? @Lindagaf ), Middlebury
    Match: NYU (reach?), Skidmore
    Likely: Conn College, Bard, Eugene Lang of New School, Clark, Hampshire (match?), Wheaton

College counselor has suggested at least researching this list, none of which seem like a good fit to me (D hasn't done research yet):
    Bowdoin
    Hamilton
    Hobart William Smith
    Lafayette
    Oberlin
    University of RIchmond
    William and Mary

Any input welcome!
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,912 Senior Member
    I'd take Middlebury off your list and put Oberlin on from the GC's list based on vibe. Brown is probably a super reach but no harm in looking. The GC's list looks way more mainstream than your D's, which suggests that he/she doesn't really understand what she's looking for.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,800 Senior Member
    Agree with @gardenstategal that it makes sense to add Oberlin and drop Middlebury, as Oberlin would overlap in terms of culture a lot with Bryn Mawr, Holyoke etc -- independent minded, interesting students.

In terms of match, have you considered Dickinson? While it has a fairly "mainstream" vibe, the kids we know from there are smart, hard working, all around nice kids. And the art facilities are gorgeous -- a restored shoe factory bordering campus, with student loft apartments next door! My kid was salivating over the prospect of rolling out of his loft apartment and heading to the art department.

I'll PM you with some further thoughts.
    Thanks for the helpful messages, @Midwestmomofboys . We know a few Dickinson faculty and agree that's a good fit. The kid went through this list from GC and took them all off the visit prospect list for Spring:
    Bowdoin
    Hamilton
    Hobart William Smith
    Lafayette
    Oberlin
    University of RIchmond
    William and Mary

Oberlin was the toughest to take off but distance from home and distance from a city were the deciding factor. Bard College made it onto visit list even after a look at Google maps and the train/shuttle schedule.

We're getting closer to our spring break visit list. Need to rule in/out: Vassar, Wesleyan, Conn College, Hampshire, Skidmore, Middlebury. I think I can convince her that Middlebury is not the right culture/vibe fit, and we will also look at the all-helpful Google maps again! (It's been an eye opener how poor my kid's geography knowledge is!)
  • circuitridercircuitrider Registered User Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I'd hold on to Wesleyan. Not because I think it's necessarily better than any of the others on your remaining list, but, because it's size gives her the largest on-campus dating pool. Hampshire, of course, has the largest off-campus dating pool.
    Monkey wrench thrown in the works by sudden very keen interest in NYU. (Talk about a large on- and off-campus dating pool!). I spent some time earlier trying to figure out how applying to NYU works -- do you have to apply to a specific major or just a specific school? Confused. I'll post query in an NYU-specific board.
13»